Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer shuts down during XP install

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2009 6:44:13 PM

Hi,

My computer began shutting down everytime it attempted to load windows a little bit into the XP loading screen. I figured maybe it was corrupted or something so I blanked the hard drive and now it shuts down when I try to install windows XP on it everytime aswell. At first (the first probably 5 tries) it would shut down at the same point a little after entering the product key for XP and then the next 5 to 10 tries it started shutting down at the "installing devices" part of the process which is before the product key part of it. The XP disc is good. I've tried swaping out parts I've repalced the ram, hard drive, & the power supply I've also most recently tried resetting the BIOS settings to defaults incase something might have been screwed up in there. And after all of that it was still the same problem. I don't see it as being an over heating issue because it'll all work fine through the hour or so process of formatting.

Its not a homebuilt computer its actually an Emachines w5243 here are the computer specs... http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W5...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

More about : computer shuts install

December 7, 2009 10:16:10 PM

Hour or so process of formatting... you mean you're doing the full length NTFS format? That's not necessary, ESPECIALLY if you've done it before. A quick NTFS format is good enough.

The only thing that springs to mind immediately is an overheating problem - formatting your hard drive may not use your CPU much, whereas copying and installing the files may take more.

Have you added a discrete graphics card? That could bring the system down if it's malfunctioning. If you do have a graphics card, try taking it out and installing using the integrated graphics, or if you don't, see if you can find a graphics card that you can borrow and try to install XP using that instead.

What power supply are you using at the moment?
m
l
December 7, 2009 10:24:44 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Yea I've been trying the complete NTFS format each time I guess I could try the quick one. I guess it could possibly be an over heating issue with the processor but I don't have a back up to test with. I have not tried the video card yet but I can I got a Nvidia GeForce 9500GT laying around. If it is infact the video of the motherboard thats bad would that mean the motherboard could perish even further any day now?
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2009 10:48:44 PM

I just tried the video card still didn't fix it. Also the computer now shuts off a little earlier so whatever is wrong is getting worse. And I have a Bestec 300 watt in it now (factory default not my choice LOL) I've tried putting my Rosewill 350w in it and also a brand new cool max 500w all the same out come.
m
l

Best solution

December 8, 2009 2:26:29 PM

First, as a friendly pointer, it's not great to double post (post twice in a row). Thankfully there's no rules about it here on TH, but you can get into trouble on some forums for doing it. Generally the best thing to do is edit your current message and put your second message under "EDIT:". It's no big deal, but I thought I'd give you a friendly heads up :) 

Now, to the problem at hand. That's interesting... I thought it may have been a bad PSU which wasn't providing enough power any more, but if you've tried it with a higher wattage new PSU then it can't be that.

If you're having no luck with a discrete graphics card, then it's not that. It's possible for the video chipset of the motherboard to die without damage to the rest of the motherboard, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem.

I have two questions for final troubleshooting:

1. Strange question, but have you ever dropped/banged the computer quite hard, or caught something on the CPU heatsink when you opened your PC up? There's a slight possibility that the CPU heatsink is no longer seated properly so isn't cooling it correctly.

2. How old is your computer? From the specs it looks like its 4 years or so old... your motherboard may just be giving up the ghost. Motherboards can last longer, but it is possible that this one doesn't.
December 8, 2009 2:48:46 PM

brutalspoon said:
First, as a friendly pointer, it's not great to double post (post twice in a row). Thankfully there's no rules about it here on TH, but you can get into trouble on some forums for doing it. Generally the best thing to do is edit your current message and put your second message under "EDIT:". It's no big deal, but I thought I'd give you a friendly heads up :) 

Now, to the problem at hand. That's interesting... I thought it may have been a bad PSU which wasn't providing enough power any more, but if you've tried it with a higher wattage new PSU then it can't be that.

If you're having no luck with a discrete graphics card, then it's not that. It's possible for the video chipset of the motherboard to die without damage to the rest of the motherboard, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem.

I have two questions for final troubleshooting:

1. Strange question, but have you ever dropped/banged the computer quite hard, or caught something on the CPU heatsink when you opened your PC up? There's a slight possibility that the CPU heatsink is no longer seated properly so isn't cooling it correctly.

2. How old is your computer? From the specs it looks like its 4 years or so old... your motherboard may just be giving up the ghost. Motherboards can last longer, but it is possible that this one doesn't.

I'm sorry about the double post, I wasn't really thinking about it. Yeah this computer seems like it should be on mystery diagnosis or something XD. As for the dropping/banging the computer I'm not sure, I just got the computer a little bit ago from a family member as is but its possible they could of roughed it up a little but at most maybe kicking it or something because there's no signs of damage to the case so I doubt it was majorly hit if at all. After a few shut downs of the computer I decided to remove the heat sink from the processor and removed and reapplied the thermal paste but if it has been cooled improperly for to long I guess it could of already burnt the cpu maybe? And the computer was built in 2007 so I hope the mobo isn't going down if it is then I’m sure not buying that brand lol.
m
l
December 13, 2009 10:03:46 AM

racefan56 said:
I'm sorry about the double post, I wasn't really thinking about it. Yeah this computer seems like it should be on mystery diagnosis or something XD. As for the dropping/banging the computer I'm not sure, I just got the computer a little bit ago from a family member as is but its possible they could of roughed it up a little but at most maybe kicking it or something because there's no signs of damage to the case so I doubt it was majorly hit if at all. After a few shut downs of the computer I decided to remove the heat sink from the processor and removed and reapplied the thermal paste but if it has been cooled improperly for to long I guess it could of already burnt the cpu maybe? And the computer was built in 2007 so I hope the mobo isn't going down if it is then I’m sure not buying that brand lol.

2007? I need to relearn the ages of components, then :p  Unless eMachines was using old components...

It's unlikely that your CPU would be damaged from becoming too hot - they're designed to shut down automatically before they reach damaging temperatures. So although it'd be enough to stop you from installing XP, it wouldn't actually damage the components.

If your motherboard is fried, I'd say there would be very little point in trying to replace just the motherboard unless you're really strapped for cash. You can easily build a new computer relatively cheaply (depending on what you're wanting to do, of course), although admittedly for your bog standard desktop you're probably still going to get one cheaper from Dell (I'd stay away from HP. Acer is okay, but I'd probably recommend Dell if you are going to go down the prebuilt route).

If you want to play games, though, build your own. You'll get much better value.
m
l
December 13, 2009 4:44:05 PM

Well the processor is copyright 2005 but I guess that doesn't really matter though as long as it was newly used in 07. This computer pisses me off I'm tired of this hunk of crap I wonder If anyone would buy this thing for parts for say $100.
m
l
December 1, 2013 8:06:33 AM

my toshiba laptop shuts down when installing windows of any operating systems
m
l
!