Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Reliable, Quality 1.5TB HDD

Last response: in Storage
November 11, 2011 1:37:09 AM

So I need something to migrate some of my smaller storage drives over to, so I have all my data in one place. Although I'll likely be keeping the data on the other drives for security, I'd like something that I can count on.
Although I don't need something fast, I'm looking for value and reliability.

Any suggestions?

Also, how long do you guys suspect until costs come down from this flooding incident?

Thanks.
November 11, 2011 1:40:43 AM

If you are looking for quality drives, the Seagate Constellations are a little pricier than their Barracuda cousins, but are business grade drives.

Currently I use 3x Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 drives in my home RAID 5 setup. 60 days out and no problems, none were DOA and I've yet to have any errors that I've seen. Runs fairly cool too. One draw back is they are only 5900RPM, but you did say speed wasn't an issue.
m
l
November 11, 2011 6:25:53 AM

Those Constellations sound like a nice choice, but are unaffordable with these crazy high price increases...

I hope that either the prices go back down very soon, or I'm able to find a deal somewhere that doesn't deem it necessary to price gouge based on availability.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 11, 2011 6:41:51 AM

If you are looking at just for storage of movies and backup then WD Green is the best way to go. If you want it for rigorous use, then WD Caviar Black or the Constellation is best.

But unfortunately the prices are going to be high for at least 1 to 1.5 months more. Even i am looking for a USB HDD. But cant get it coz of the price hike! :( 
m
l
!