4+2 GB vs 4+4 GB DDR3 in a laptop...

sa74r24r

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Dear Community,

There is a laptop SATELLITE L855-11P which has really nice tech specifications but I am in a doubt about its 6 GB RAM. I used to be interested in hardware and maybe I am an old fashioned guy but..Is it possible to make dual-channel with 4+2? I searched in Google and read about positive answers. But! Is that really a dual-channel system? Isn't 4+4 better in terms of speed? I mean, 6 GB is enough for me, I won't use any hard apps except Eclipse and games. Main thing for gaming is video card and processor in this case (6 GB is enough for it I think, I don't believe that they will use for than 60% of my RAM in worst case). What do you think about it? Do I miss something?

Anyway, my main question: Will performance of 4+4 improve the speed in a sensible manner (not in tests! but real apps) comparing to the same system but with 4+2 configuration of DDR3 RAM?

p.s. It shouldn't be in "Overclocking" section, but I didn't any other suitable. Other "Motherboard and Memory" required subsection about brand...

Solution
D
Running memory in dual channel gives you a boost of about 4% over single channel. Many laptop chipsets do not support dual channel anyway.

For dual channel you need sets of 2 matched sticks. So 2 matched sticks of x amount. If you have 4 memory slots you can have 2 of them or 4 of them filled as long as they are matched. So if you had 4 slots you could have 2 x 2GB and 2 x 4GB and it would be dual channel as long as the same sized sticks are in the matching slots.

Really dual channel is not something to worry about. The gains are tiny.
D

Deleted member 217926

Running memory in dual channel gives you a boost of about 4% over single channel. Many laptop chipsets do not support dual channel anyway.

For dual channel you need sets of 2 matched sticks. So 2 matched sticks of x amount. If you have 4 memory slots you can have 2 of them or 4 of them filled as long as they are matched. So if you had 4 slots you could have 2 x 2GB and 2 x 4GB and it would be dual channel as long as the same sized sticks are in the matching slots.

Really dual channel is not something to worry about. The gains are tiny.

Solution