Quote:
AMD Athlon x2 4400+
Biostar TA780G M2+

what combo should i buy?
both of them are ~$70 (second hand)
will be used for an office PC

EDIT:

i dont think i will upgrade it very soon :-s

the onboard gpu will not be used either way...

thanks! )

More about : advice combo

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 4:03:03 PM

Both are extremely outdated and not worth buying.

Stick with your current system if it is a Pentium 4 2.8GHz+ or an AMD equivalence, then get a modern setup when you can afford one later on.

BTW, Pentium4 2.8GHz+ should be enough for office PC.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 4:05:20 PM

Anyway, I would get the AMD one out of the two combo listed.

Intel Celeron is nothing but POS!

EDIT: I was thinking about the single core Celeron. Ignore this and listen to PsychoSaysDie and Enzo Matrix
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
February 17, 2010 4:08:33 PM

Both will be good enough.

intel
-celeron dual core is faster (based on core 2 architecture). performs faster per clock and has a higher clock
-according to gigabyte's site, the motherboard has support for up to the latest core 2 quads
-horrible integrated graphics

AMD
-processor not as fast
-has support for latest AMD processors according to biostar site
-awesome integrated graphics

For your needs the celeron system is the best.
a c 131 à CPUs
February 17, 2010 4:11:15 PM

andy5174 said:
Both are extremely outdated and not worth buying.

Stick with your current system if it is a Pentium 4 2.8GHz+ or an AMD equivalence, then get a modern setup when you can afford one later on.

BTW, Pentium4 2.8GHz+ should be enough for office PC.

Both are on modern motherboards capable of core 2 quad/ Phenom II with DDR2 ram, have one pci-e 1x slot and one pci-16x slot. the 4400+ is last generation and the celeron dual core is cutting it close but are fine for his uses.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 4:12:43 PM

Definitely the second one. At least it leaves you a decent upgrade path if you ever want to drop in a new AM3 processor.

Also, like he said, Celeron is a real POS.

Although for a simple office computer, either one would probably be sufficient as-is.

edit: wow, I didn't see that the Gigabyte actually works with quad cores. Usually when you see a CPU that old, the motherboard is an old-school 775 that only takes the early dual-cores. So I guess my opinion has changed to ... whatever. Either system is just OK.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 4:21:12 PM

enzo matrix said:
Both are on modern motherboards capable of core 2 quad/ Phenom II with DDR2 ram, have one pci-e 1x slot and one pci-16x slot. the 4400+ is last generation and the celeron dual core is cutting it close but are fine for his uses.

IMO, everything other than i7/i5/i3, C2Q, C2D E8xxx/E7xxx/E6850/E6750, Pentium E6xxx, PII and Athlon II are outdated and not worth buying.
a c 131 à CPUs
February 17, 2010 4:26:00 PM

andy5174 said:
IMO, everything other than i7/i5/i3, C2Q, C2D E8xxx/E7xxx, PII and Athlon II are outdated and not worth buying.

And the op obviously thinks the same since those are his two options.
February 17, 2010 4:37:29 PM

no actually not for me

my grand father needs one ))

and i dont think i will upgrade it very soon :-s

the onboard gpu will not be used either way...

thanks! )
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 5:02:24 PM

The X3100 in the GA-G31M-ES2L will be able to play videos up to 720p and 1080p if you get good codecs. I have a feeling your grandfather wont even do that, but the extra processor speed will help across the board, even web surfing with Flash.
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2010 8:25:29 PM

I guess, like the other guy, I'm used to thinking of the bargain-basement Celerons that are basically no better than a Pentium 4. But ... yeah, in light of all that, that's why I went back and said I guess either system is going to be OK for office purposes. I still wouldn't want either one of them if I could help it. Unless I could drop in a better CPU, but then, that would mean i basically paid $70 for a used last-gen motherboard.
February 18, 2010 10:40:09 AM

bump for the thread ) still undecided 4 vs 3 ??
!