Xp no sound everything greyed out

Stan007

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
solution: Should have 2 disks for installing windows on pc; after installing windows and find that all sound, speakers, etc are all greyed out. Place drivers disk into computer, explore that disk you'll see a folder named ' snd ', click that, click Realtek; after that is installed go back, click, hot fix for realtek; enjoy.

Not in this universe.

Do you think all computers have Realtek sound systems? Do all computers have your folder named 'snd' ? Is a hotfix as you call it necessary? I never needed any hotfix. I have Bernstein audio, what about that? I needed .Net Framework 2.0 or higher, care to say when that needed to be added? How about the SMBus controller? No sound without that, or the ATI Function driver for High Definition Sound on systems with ATI chipsets. Since you are apparently speaking about a fresh install of Windows, at what point do you think it might be useful to install the chipset drivers, since they are needed for most hardware to work? The list could go on and on.

Your generic method is useful in very few machines, probably just your own, but thanks for trying.

What antivirus? I have absolutely no antivirus and no, I'm not crazy. Worry-warts use antivirus, old ladies use antivirus, people who would be lost if anything made their computer burp use antivirus. People who don't care how slow their machine goes use antivirus, "anything, just make me feel safe" is the mentality. Any new virus will take out a system, so why worry? Be happy.

I do have a system to test for viruses prior to installing software, but after that, what is life without the spice of danger? I do use what I consider the most powerful firewall ever put into the hands of the general public (not available anymore though) and it does a good job at stopping the attacks at the door.

People play with toys that they have no idea of how they work, or what to do if it ever did stop working. So I guess antivirus is a good thing for the sheep mentality of the masses, but I do fine without it. BTW, the last virus to actually get into my computer was back in 2001... someone else was using it (happens when you have kids).