Help needed - overclocking and bf3

p_bug

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
hello guys!!

I play a lot of bf3 and i believe it is cpu intensive in multiplayer mode.
Currently
I have a h55 intel board which allows me to oc the i5 760 till 3.5GHz(with vol at auto) with turbo boost enabled In single threaded applications the first core goes up to 4.0-4.1 Ghz.
There is no stability problem in playing bf3 but i have been getting occasional bluescreen and .exe stopped working errors in some other games such as hot pursuit and darksiders.

So i am thinking that the default voltage must be insufficient at certain times,leading to instability.

My question is
should i buy a decent 1156 mobo and overclock the 760 to maybe 4.2-4.3 ghz ,i mean how much performance boost can i see in bf3 with core clock going from 3.5-3.6 to 4.2-4.3 Ghz (i game at 1920x1080)?

Or

should i go for ivy bridge ?

or

should i wait for hashwell ?

Solution
I oc-ed my 2500k after not getting decent performance at stock with two overclocked 6970s. Once I hit 4.3ghz it stopped dipping under 60fps almost altogether with mostly ultra settings (but with 2xMSAA), even on the largest maps. I certainly noticed quite a difference. Interestingly, for me the perfoverlay didn't show the cpu as an issue, but when it was a bottleneck it became a rough jagged line (as did the graphics card line), once overclocked this stopped happening. I think this and the fact that all the tech sites focussed on the singleplayer for benchmarks and proclaimed that the cpu made no difference has had a lot of people assuming the performance issues are all graphics card related.
Unfortunately I can't get my cpu any higher...

lachlan

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I oc-ed my 2500k after not getting decent performance at stock with two overclocked 6970s. Once I hit 4.3ghz it stopped dipping under 60fps almost altogether with mostly ultra settings (but with 2xMSAA), even on the largest maps. I certainly noticed quite a difference. Interestingly, for me the perfoverlay didn't show the cpu as an issue, but when it was a bottleneck it became a rough jagged line (as did the graphics card line), once overclocked this stopped happening. I think this and the fact that all the tech sites focussed on the singleplayer for benchmarks and proclaimed that the cpu made no difference has had a lot of people assuming the performance issues are all graphics card related.
Unfortunately I can't get my cpu any higher without ridiculous voltages but it would probably help to go even further. So yes, night and day difference at a higher oc for me.

Solution

p_bug

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

okay..thanks :)
sorry for the late response,i was busy somewhere else.