Sign in with
Your question

Trading/Poker, Multi-monitor w some multimedia & gaming build ?PARTS?!

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2009 7:36:53 PM

First off, all of you guys are awesome, I built a new system a while back and the help and recommendations made on here were great so I'm sure they will be again!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The sooner the better!

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Trading/poker/multitasking like crazy, multimedia/watching TV & Movies, Gaming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, mouse, case, PSU.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: At LEAST two monitors running at 1920x1200

SO I'm looking to build a new system that will be an all around great comp. but mostly a work PC. I need it to be able to run multiple monitors (prob. 2 but maybe more) in high def. and be able to handle all the programs I throw at it. I currently use a laptop for this and it just gets bogged down running only one monitor.
I already have a case that I got on sale at newegg (which is where I prefer to get parts b/c of their service and shipping), it is the Cooler Master Storm Scout – awesome BTW, and I think it requires a CPU cooler of under 6.5” . Other than that I am running on a Gateway 24” monitor with a max res of 1920 X 1200 and I have a 22” which runs about the same res I think which I want to hook up to this system and possibly a hi def TV as a third monitor for playing movies or watching TV on while I work on the other two monitors.
I really want to know what CPU/MOBO combo to go with as well as what GPU I will need. I don’t want any lag with this system and price is not too important but I don’t need any overkill that isn’t necessary . In other words, what do I need to make this computer do everything I want and not throw money away on fancy parts. I have a system that I primarily play games on which is an AMD 720 X3 processor with a Radeon 4830 1GB card and 4GB of RAM which I think might do what I want but it’s not in my office so I need another computer! I’m also thinking that since I won’t be doing much gaming that Intel may be the way to go for all the multitasking I’ll be doing, and I’ve never built an Intel system b4!
So to wrap this up, please give me your thoughts, any and all opinions are welcome, and links to specific parts and sales are preferred!
December 7, 2009 7:47:43 PM

joshuasp75 said:
First off, all of you guys are awesome, I built a new system a while back and the help and recommendations made on here were great so I'm sure they will be again!

SO I'm looking to build a new system that will be an all around great comp. but mostly a work PC. I need it to be able to run multiple monitors (prob. 2 but maybe more) in high def. and be able to handle all the programs I throw at it. I currently use a laptop for this and it just gets bogged down running only one monitor.
I already have a case that I got on sale at newegg (which is where I prefer to get parts b/c of their service and shipping), it is the Cooler Master Storm Scout – awesome BTW, and I think it requires a CPU cooler of under 6.5” . Other than that I am running on a Gateway 24” monitor with a max res of 1920 X 1200 and I have a 22” which runs about the same res I think which I want to hook up to this system and possibly a hi def TV as a third monitor for playing movies or watching TV on while I work on the other two monitors.
I really want to know what CPU/MOBO combo to go with as well as what GPU I will need. I don’t want any lag with this system and price is not too important but I don’t need any overkill that isn’t necessary . In other words, what do I need to make this computer do everything I want and not throw money away on fancy parts. I have a system that I primarily play games on which is an AMD 720 X3 processor with a Radeon 4830 1GB card and 4GB of RAM which I think might do what I want but it’s not in my office so I need another computer! I’m also thinking that since I won’t be doing much gaming that Intel may be the way to go for all the multitasking I’ll be doing, and I’ve never built an Intel system b4!
So to wrap this up, please give me your thoughts, any and all opinions are welcome, and links to specific parts and sales are preferred!

If anything make sure to get a gpu from ATi's 5000 series, as they support Eyefinity, which allows a single gpu to support up to 6 screens simultaneously. http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/eyefinity/P...

Use this sticky here to make your needs easier to understand: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
December 10, 2009 2:29:17 PM

So I bought a new Power Supply yesterday as Newegg had a mail in rebate that ended on Dec 9th for the Corsair 850W PSU which was $100 after the MIR. So now PSU needed now! I still am having a lot of thought as to what Mobo/CPU/GPU combination would be best for me, ANYONE have any input??? I was thinking Intel, but the price savings of an AMD CPU and Mobo which is comparable in performace seem to be better but IDK, I think the GPU is where I should spend the most since that is what will determine my ability to run multiple screens hi def.
Related resources
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2009 3:27:47 PM

You definitely want an i7, but we really need a budget. i7s are made for multitasking. They run $300+.

You'll also need an SSD for the OS/programs since seconds matter in trading. Probably be around $150-200.

Like mentioned above, any of the new 5xxx series will allow up to 6 screens. You don't need the greatest one, so a 5770 ($170) would probably suffice.
December 10, 2009 3:43:28 PM

MadAdmiral said:
You definitely want an i7, but we really need a budget. i7s are made for multitasking. They run $300+.

You'll also need an SSD for the OS/programs since seconds matter in trading. Probably be around $150-200.

Like mentioned above, any of the new 5xxx series will allow up to 6 screens. You don't need the greatest one, so a 5770 ($170) would probably suffice.

I left a specific budget off on purpose since I didn't want ppl to have to say "O well for under X dollars you have to go with this..." I did specify that I don't want to throw money away and overkill is unnecessary, bang for the buck is always the way to go IMO as long as your system can do everything you want. So the question is what can capably do everything I want (running a lot of programs smoothly) and not cost me more than necessary? Keep in mind that I currently use an HP G60 laptop with a Pentium Dual-core T4300 (2.1Ghz) with 3GB of memory for all of my work and it lags a bit running only one screen thru HDMI (with the laptop screen off BTW).

Yea, I was doing some review reading of GPU's this morning and a 5770 sounds like it will work well for me, and I can always update later after the prices fall if I'm unhappy or feel my video card is bottlenecking me (doubt it tho).

I was pondering my HDD solution and was leaning towards a 1.5tb WD Caviar green as my main drive. I don't know a lot about the SDD drives out right now other than they are expensive, but if the speed increase of my system would be substantial with one of them I would be willing to spend the extra money. The only other thing is I like my storage space for files since I'm a bit of a file packrat. I would be able to run a SDD with my operating system and programs and then have a 1.5tb in there for just storage right? If not there is always external drives, which I already have a couple of anyway.
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2009 3:50:52 PM

You can have a separate data drive. I suggest the Samsung Spinpoint F3. It comes in 500 GB ($55) and 1 TB ($85) flavors. This is going to be faster than the WD, and significantly cheaper. They use 500 GB platters instead of 250 GB. If you want something bigger than that, the only WD to use 500 GB platters is their 2 TB. Good replacements for these are the Seagate 7200.12 (also in 500 GB and 1 TB) that are usually the same price.

SSDs are expensive, but are the fastest ones out there. The only use for them is to use as a boot drive and to store programs. It will make it faster.

Another consideration is that you might want to get 12 GB of RAM. Usually, no one recommends going over 6 GB for i7 builds (for LGA 1366 sockets), but you don't want to be slowed down.

Altogether, assuming the 12 GB of RAM, you're probably looking at close to $1300 for the build, not counting the OS and the stuff you have.
December 10, 2009 3:59:39 PM

MadAdmiral said:
You can have a separate data drive. I suggest the Samsung Spinpoint F3. It comes in 500 GB ($55) and 1 TB ($85) flavors. This is going to be faster than the WD, and significantly cheaper. They use 500 GB platters instead of 250 GB. If you want something bigger than that, the only WD to use 500 GB platters is their 2 TB. Good replacements for these are the Seagate 7200.12 (also in 500 GB and 1 TB) that are usually the same price.

SSDs are expensive, but are the fastest ones out there. The only use for them is to use as a boot drive and to store programs. It will make it faster.

Another consideration is that you might want to get 12 GB of RAM. Usually, no one recommends going over 6 GB for i7 builds (for LGA 1366 sockets), but you don't want to be slowed down.

Altogether, assuming the 12 GB of RAM, you're probably looking at close to $1300 for the build, not counting the OS and the stuff you have.

Haha, I was about to log off and I saw I had another reply, thx MadAdmiral! I can tell you are a bit like me with budgeting things out, but I didn't want to have ppl giving me reqs based on just price. $1300 is probably the top of what I want to spend, but I don't need this system today, so I'll probably buy the parts over this month to keep my wallet with some spare change in it.

FYI that 1.5TB WD drive was only $109, but if the SPinpoint F3 is faster I would probably go with the 1TB version + a SDD drive of like ? 120GB ? and what brand??? I assume b/c of the no moving parts thing that even tho they are new tech for desktops, SDD's are more reliable, right?

Whew, Yea, I didn't know anyone needed 12 GB of RAM, but if we are talking about not being slowed down, it is worth it to me. Got any RAM reqs? Brands or deals that are on right now or up and coming maybe?

Also I still would like to get a lot of feedback on MOBO/CPU since the motherboard is the most important part of a build and features, specs and reliabilty of seemingly similar motherboards differ a lot.
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2009 4:10:16 PM

Probably all you need is 80GB. You shouldn't put anything on it besides the OS and programs. You also want to keep it under half full to make sure it runs as fast as possibly. As far as brands, I have no idea. I don't typically recommend buying SSDs...

I personally like G.Skill, but most of their stuff is in dual channel kits. Corsair is always good.

RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1333 CAS Latency 7 $150 a set

CPU: i7-920 $289

Mobo: ASUS P6T $219

EDIT: Added links.
!