FOXCONN P4M8907MA-KRS2H RAID 1 Set Up

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for documentation which tells me how set up 2 x 1.5 TB HDDs in RAID 1 configuration for a Foxconn P4M8907MA-KRS2H motherboard? Or is it easy enough for someone to tell me in a few short words how to do it?

Thanks, Peter.
5 answers Last reply
More about foxconn p4m8907ma krs2h raid
  1. You'll have to do it via the OS, but you didn't tell us what OS you're using.
  2. Thanks for your reply, Ghislain. I'm using Windows XP Home SP3 on a separate HDD to the ones I'm RAIDing. I'm wondering whether I'll need to reflash the BIOS because I can't see RAID controller in the Device Manager list under Computer Management. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Peter.
  3. You can't see a Raid controller because your motherboard doesn't have one. You are using an inexpensive motherboard; therefore you can't expect features like a Raid controller.

Unfortunately Windows XP doesn't support software Raid, but you can read http://www.vttoth.com/mirror.htm as it might be of interest to you. Make sure that you have a good backup just in case you make an error.

If you really want to setup a Raid1, you should probably buy an inexpensive Raid controller like this one (assuming that you can only use a PCI controller): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816318002&cm_re=raid_controller-_-16-318-002-_-Product I would definitely make sure that it can support 1.5TB disk drives.
  4. All sorted, now.

Reflashed BIOS with latest firmware as a precaution but it probably wasn't necessary.

Set BIOS to see SATA channels as a RAID setup.

Downloaded RAID driver from Foxconn website - VIA VT 8237A chipset DOES support RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD.

Used Foxconn utility (came with driver) to configure HDDs on SATA channels to RAID 1.

Went to Disk Management (Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management Disk Management) and formatted volume (appears as 1 drive, not 2 because of RAID 1 configuration). Full 1.5 TB of storage visible (well, 1.36 "proper" TB).

Job done :-).

Peter
  5. Glad to know that it works. When I checked the specs, nowhere did they mention RAID support.
Ask a new question

Read More

Foxconn NAS / RAID Motherboards Product