Sign in with
Your question

FOXCONN P4M8907MA-KRS2H RAID 1 Set Up

Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2010 8:57:00 PM

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for documentation which tells me how set up 2 x 1.5 TB HDDs in RAID 1 configuration for a Foxconn P4M8907MA-KRS2H motherboard? Or is it easy enough for someone to tell me in a few short words how to do it?

Thanks, Peter.
a c 217 V Motherboard
June 22, 2010 12:45:15 AM

You'll have to do it via the OS, but you didn't tell us what OS you're using.
June 22, 2010 5:56:41 AM

Thanks for your reply, Ghislain. I'm using Windows XP Home SP3 on a separate HDD to the ones I'm RAIDing. I'm wondering whether I'll need to reflash the BIOS because I can't see RAID controller in the Device Manager list under Computer Management. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Peter.
Related resources
a c 217 V Motherboard
June 22, 2010 12:54:18 PM

You can't see a Raid controller because your motherboard doesn't have one. You are using an inexpensive motherboard; therefore you can't expect features like a Raid controller.

Unfortunately Windows XP doesn't support software Raid, but you can read http://www.vttoth.com/mirror.htm as it might be of interest to you. Make sure that you have a good backup just in case you make an error.

If you really want to setup a Raid1, you should probably buy an inexpensive Raid controller like this one (assuming that you can only use a PCI controller): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I would definitely make sure that it can support 1.5TB disk drives.
June 23, 2010 5:49:29 PM

All sorted, now.

Reflashed BIOS with latest firmware as a precaution but it probably wasn't necessary.

Set BIOS to see SATA channels as a RAID setup.

Downloaded RAID driver from Foxconn website - VIA VT 8237A chipset DOES support RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD.

Used Foxconn utility (came with driver) to configure HDDs on SATA channels to RAID 1.

Went to Disk Management (Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management Disk Management) and formatted volume (appears as 1 drive, not 2 because of RAID 1 configuration). Full 1.5 TB of storage visible (well, 1.36 "proper" TB).

Job done :-).

Peter
a c 217 V Motherboard
June 23, 2010 6:42:11 PM

Glad to know that it works. When I checked the specs, nowhere did they mention RAID support.
!