Tech help new build wont turn on

g33k1n

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I have recently built a new PC all new parts.. The case, PSU, MB, CPU, and ram all came as comboe deal. Bought GFX card CPU fan.. had all sent figured ready to go. Well got it all hooked up try to turn it on and nothing happend no light fans nothing..made sure everything was hooked up right even had friend look at it said everything hooked up right , so it must be the MB.. So sent back the motherboard and got new one.. Still nothing happend when I tryed to turn it on. Took it to a tech guy to look make sure all hooked up right and he suggested getting a new PSU so I did got a good one OCZ ModXSteam 600 watt.. and still nothing happends can someone please help I'm going crazy have this nice PC next to me and wont turn on.. specs are Gigabyte GA-MA785GPM-US2H Motherboard AMD Athalon II 240 Regor 2.8 ghz socket AM3 cpu 2X1 gig GSkillz 240 pin sdram ddr2 800 OCZ ModXstream 600 watt PSU 20/24 pin / 4/8 pin (MB is compatible with 4 or 8 pin using 8 atm) Artic Cooling Freezer 64 pro CPU fan( thing is huge lol) XFX PVT94GZAH2 GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card So please help me

daship

Distinguished
Did you mount the mother board on standoffs or just to the case itself? Sounds like grounding issue. Take the mother board out and try it on a phonebook or a piece of cardboard to rule out a grounding issue.

ram1009

Distinguished
I had a similar problem on an old box not long ago. Took me a while to figure out the power switch on the box wasn't working. BTW, are you sure the power switch on the PSU is turned on? Most MBs have an on board LED to let you know the PSU is turned on.

g33k1n

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
This MB doesnt seem to have an LED light, if it does I havent found it. I recently hooked PSU up to another PC and both PSU are working fine. Also the MB is on stand offs. I also pulled it out and tryed to start with just PSU CPU and HSF still I got nodda. Also tryed crossing power switch with screwdrive still nothing.. So eliminated the case and switch and still nothing, if not PSU (and also Had same issu with 2 MB's now) it has to be CPU right?

Assuming this is your motherboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=3139

On page 7 of the motherboard manual it shows the power LED at the bottom right corner near the front panel connectors. That should be on when the motherboard is properly plugged in.
http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ma785g(p)m-ud(s)2h_e.pdf

You plugged in both the 24 and 8 pin power connectors?
You plugged the CPU heatsink fan into the CPU_FAN power connector?

g33k1n

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

Yes thats the motherboard.. The Power LED mentioned isnt a light though its the plugs for a light on the case im assumming.. if it is for a light dont have a light other then the case to plug into it.. I have the case PWR LED plugs into atm..

Yes.. The 24 and 8 pin and CPU fan all plugged in

g33k1n

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
OK I got it to boot and was a connection issue I had one of the 4 pin Periphals connect to System fan on MB unplugged it and it powered right up thanks alot .. \

Now having issue with sata hard drive installed XP and getting disk read Error when boot from hard drive is first time using Sata so don't know alot about it. Will search forums though.. thanks for the help.. =)

g33k1n

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
He did it for free.. was just trying to be nice.. Yeah can't believe he didnt notice it .. But it is up and running windows & all good .. Typing this to you now on it I LOVE IT.. thanks for the help.. Sure will be back here (hope not) lol