Sign in with
Your question

Corsair 1000watt PSU ticking noise

Last response: in Components
February 17, 2010 6:05:17 PM

Hi all

I have a Corsair 1Kw PSU and there is a noticeable “ticking” noise that is quite audible, sometimes louder than others. I have removed the PSU and spun the fan by hand and if I listen close then I can hear a faint ticking in the background. Obviously as the fan spins so much faster when being powered the noise gets louder. One weird thing is the noise level can fluctuate from very audible to just audible. I have inspected the top part of the fan to see if I could see anything touching the blades of the fan but can see nothing, so there has got to be something going on inside.

Has anyone else had an experience like this or does anyone have any advice as if anything can be done? The supply itself works fine and cost me more than I could afford so I can’t afford to replace it.

The PSU is about 6 months old and I don’t have any receipts or anything so I can’t take it back.

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks
February 17, 2010 6:10:43 PM

What a donut! Its a Cooler Master NOT a Corsair!! Sorry
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2010 7:26:59 PM

Crap in the fan - get a can of air and blow it clean.
Related resources
February 17, 2010 7:46:14 PM

Have blown the fan with air and there is no change?

Anything else?
a c 144 ) Power supply
February 17, 2010 7:57:18 PM

Replace the fan.
February 17, 2010 8:02:33 PM

Is replacing the fan an easy task? I am no component expert.

Thanks
a c 144 ) Power supply
February 17, 2010 8:11:45 PM

I was going to say yes, but that really depends on your level of experience.

If you have never done anything like this, maybe you could get a skilled friend to help.
February 17, 2010 9:17:36 PM

Well I will give it a go!

Thanks
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2010 12:07:15 AM

If you are going to replace the fan, then when refitting it make sure it is blowing in the right direction, it is surprisingly easy to get this wrong.
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2010 8:18:31 AM

Personally I'd not mess about with a £200 power supply - cash in your warranty and get it replaced.

What warranty period to Coolermaster offer on their PSUs?

And by the way, little tip for the future: don't buy Coolermaster PSUs. Go Corsair, Seasonic or top-end Antec.
February 18, 2010 11:23:03 AM

Thanks for the advice I will try to be as careful as possible
February 20, 2010 3:24:31 AM

If it's still under warranty I would have it replaced. If it's not under warranty and blowing out the fan doesn't help, then I would just buy a new PSU.
!