Sign in with
Your question

Best fans for a Push-Pull Config. on H100?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 28, 2012 11:33:11 PM

I know I know, this question has been asked so many times. I am wondering, what are the best fans to use on the h100, whether it be in addition to the stock ones, or just 4 of the aftermarket ones. The H100 is being mounted in a CM HAF X case. My real question is, what fans should I purchase to create a Push-Pull configuration with the Corsair H100? I've heard things like Gentle Typhoons and cougar vortex's and such, but I want to know your recommendations of fans that are good for the h100. Noise isn't that big of an issue, however I don't want a jet plane flying out of my case. Thanks!
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 12:46:44 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276046-29-h100-push-p...
how many threads do you plan on opening before getting what you want to hear?

have you read the review of the H100? find these first and that info will help you choose a fan setup for case+cooler.

high FPI:
high static pressured fans with high cfm - usually means having them on high just to get temps to drop

low FPI:
yet have "good" static pressure but the fans can turn at a lower speed - so noise is reduced.

BTW, what hardware are you running inside that X case? I asked because you might not even need to move to a H100, its crappier than it looks and its only selling point is that its an all-in-one cooler that gives you bragging rights for nothing but buying cheap plastic+alu+copper parts.

*^ forgive me for the above postage, the answer you seek are very easily found on google+OCN+tomshardware via a search.

and i despise the all-in-one coolers. Honestly, you'd turn a blind eye to it if you really would want to understand and go into watercooling :) 

choices:
swiftech helix
scythe AP-15
noiseblockers PWM version
phobya black edition
corsair SP

**might want to take a look at the Hyper 212 evo, its far cheaper and it trumps the H100 anyday for the price/performance/noise ratio dept.

***still interested in watercooling - check out the sticky in my sig :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 12:54:11 AM

^

hehehe, you never know OP might be intimidated by your poke :p  and jump feet first into real watercooling :) 

i ordered them a long time back...maybe 4 months ago...but throughout that time all i could see was "out of stock" - "notify me"
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:43:53 AM

Ahaha, I'll admit both of your posts made me laugh :p . I ask a SHITTTOOOON of questions so yeah. The stuff I'm plannin on running with is...

Coolermaster HAF X (lolnoduh)

Samsung 830 Series 128gb SSD

ASUS GTX 670(Goin sli soon tho)

WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD

Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz RAM

Corsair AX850 OR SeaSonic X-Series X-1050 PSU(Don't know which yet :x)

Intel Core i5 3570k OC'd at 4.5ghz

Think thats it. And yeah, first pc build as of now, and I know little about Watercooling. I am only going to WC the CPU as of now, so yeah.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 1:45:18 AM

Just spend $20 more for an XSPC RASA Kit. It will look much better in the HAF-X.
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:48:08 AM

Is it easy to even set up? I have no idea how to set that stuff up man... And uh, can I see a link to this RASA? Damn yee for getting me intrigued, but if its a better performance and not too difficult for a 15 y/o to set up, then I'm all for it.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 2:35:15 AM

iraserei said:
Is it easy to even set up? I have no idea how to set that stuff up man... And uh, can I see a link to this RASA? Damn yee for getting me intrigued, but if its a better performance and not too difficult for a 15 y/o to set up, then I'm all for it.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11743/ex-wat-159/XSPC...

I'm 14 and I'll be setting up my custom watercooling loop in the next week or so :) 
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 3:07:53 AM

Yes, but those will cost more.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 3:14:32 AM

Quote:
Isn't there a RX360 option aswell?
yeas there is but for that price you'll need to decide whether you'd want to shell out on it. But it still beats that H100 anyday, anywhere anytime...any okay you get my point mate :)  you could also go custom, upto you.

you being a 15 year old, hasn't stopped you from coming onto Tom's and reading up on other Tom's material..right? so whats stopping you from going watercooling?

However, I would strongly recommend reading the watercooling sticky to get a feel for your watercooling loop - then pull the gun on the RX360 extreme kit on frozencpu.

some things to decide upon:
where you'd want rads to be(again)
how much of an overclock will you go for
and if you'd like GPU in the mix
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:28:54 AM

Hmmm, where would the best place to put a 240 rad be? I'm oc'ing the i5 3570k to 4.5ghz aswell.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 3:39:40 AM

Top.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 3:45:07 AM

well, why are you limiting yourself to a 240? have you done the TDP calc? and what about the OC you're looking at?(@ 4.5 whats the TDP looking like?) this should be done by you since your the bloke who'll be maintaining the loop. Kinda like the car your dad has, he fills her up with gas - changes her dirty oils and also gives her a nice run down the highway :p 

you can mount just about any rad if going outside case. internally however, its a dif story...modding yeah you can get stuff in it. But in reality you'd need an A/C to feed the rads cool air and keep the case internals cool at the same time.

google radbox and you'll see a whole world of ideas :) 
read the sticky yet?
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:52:59 AM

My lord, I'm not planning on concocting an entire custom loop by myself. Amuffin was suggesting the XSPC RASA kit, which has the 240mm in it .Thats why I said it, plus I have no idea about Thermal Design Power and stuff so yeah :x
m
l
May 29, 2012 4:03:26 AM

Do I even need a loop for the overclock im doing?
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 4:06:06 AM

Why not? You can hit above 4.5 easily!
m
l
May 29, 2012 4:20:28 AM

I see, but it seems like a hassle to do it all, but if its worth it... Also, its better to use distilled water with a Kill Coil or drops and colored tubing compared to dyed coolant correct?
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 1:19:18 PM

if its a hassle, then stick with a Hyper 212+/Evo. no need going with a watercooling route for an OC like that. Honestly, if you're aiming at getting GTX 680's in sli and the cpu on a crazy OC then you'll need the loop. In fact right where you are - you wouldn't need a loop for the clocks you have now and will see in the future.

to answer the next question:
yeah colored tubing, distilled+kill coil(fungicide)
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 2:51:58 PM

iraserei said:
My lord, I'm not planning on concocting an entire custom loop by myself. Amuffin was suggesting the XSPC RASA kit, which has the 240mm in it .Thats why I said it, plus I have no idea about Thermal Design Power and stuff so yeah :x

The Rasa/Raystorm kits need to be assembled like any other loop. I feel you are making this out to be much more difficult than it needs to be. It isn't rocket science, but you do need to know what you are doing when buying and installing parts.

If you don't want to know what this entails, just get a good air cooler. Sounds like you want to say you have watercooling, but don't want to figure out any of the requirements or understand functionality...hence the Corsair unit.

Time to decide what you really want to do...you're kind of wishy-washy on all the concepts given by the guys here. None of us are going to recommend the H100 even though it sounds that's what you want- reassurance from a bunch of strangers. We're telling you the best solutions based on the cost of the H100 and the additional fans you are wanting to buy for it.
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:34:33 PM

The reason I am so skeptical is because I know very little about REAL watercooling. I am simply looking for assurance that this is the correct way to go. The XSPC RASA 750 RS240 is what you're recommending correct? And you say this will give me cooler temperatures than any of the other All-in-one coolers right? Then I will look into it. Honestly, the main hassle I have is just there is SO many options as to what to get when it comes to watercooling. Plus,might I ask, is it better to use Compression Fittings over those metal hose clamp tie things?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 4:03:56 PM

Quote:
The reason I am so skeptical is because I know very little about REAL watercooling.

This is why the WC sticky exists.

Quote:
The XSPC RASA 750 RS240 is what you're recommending correct?

For a first time watercooling loop, yes.

Quote:
And you say this will give me cooler temperatures than any of the other All-in-one coolers right?

Yes, but remember CPU's aren't that difficult to cool these days unless you are doing heavy overclocking.

Quote:
Honestly, the main hassle I have is just there is SO many options as to what to get when it comes to watercooling

This is a good thing.

Quote:
Plus,might I ask, is it better to use Compression Fittings over those metal hose clamp tie things?

Either works. I use barbs and clamps/ties. Some people use compression fittings. It's a matter of preference.
m
l
May 29, 2012 4:08:39 PM

Ohh I see, and have you had any issues with leakages and such from the ties not being on properly?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 4:31:58 PM

Nope.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 6:05:18 PM

iraserei - Even though this is your first ever build, you should go ahead, jump in the water and learn real watercooling. My guess is that you've already caught the "bug" and will be hobby-building PCs for life (especially once you've completed your first build). You've got the people and resources here to help you learn a cooling method that even many experienced builders don't know so get out there and walk the plank :)  And I apologize in advance for the terrible puns.
m
l
May 29, 2012 6:19:39 PM

Larkspur - Your post made me smile, and I think I will actually dive into real watercooling software, might aswell learn now then later so I can save money by not buying a H100. I also have another question, haha. I want to purchase Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV red tubing for the build. It states it is Antimicrobial, so will I need something like PT_NUKE or a Silver KillCoil in it?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 6:30:52 PM

Yes, you'll want to have an antimicrobial in the loop. PT Nuke or other biocide that prevents growth is a highly recommended idea.
m
l
May 29, 2012 6:39:05 PM

Ok, so PT_NUKE is better than a Silver KillCoil? And is there a difference between the RS240 and the RX240? Like, they aren't a huge difference in price.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 7:37:39 PM

advice:
1| read and re-read sticky mate it'll start making sense eventually
2| from your later posts I can see this written all over your face - " I wan't to watercool...custom watercool"
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:57:16 PM

Lutfij said:
advice:
1| read and re-read sticky mate it'll start making sense eventually
2| from your later posts I can see this written all over your face - " I wan't to watercool...custom watercool"

Ahahah yeah well you guys got me intrigued into it, which is good I suppose because I eventually wanted to attempt it, but I wasn't sure how. And if a poorly made pre-filled all in one easy-as-pie closed loop watercooling kit costs as much as a quality custom starter kit, then I am going to take the challenge :lol: 
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 8:53:06 PM

Quote:
And is there a difference between the RS240 and the RX240?

Yes, RX series is about 35-40% thicker than RS series and dissipates a decent amount more for the same 'size' rad using the same fans.

Quote:
Ok, so PT_NUKE is better than a Silver KillCoil?

I'd vote biocide over a killcoil any day. Just use distilled with either and you're set.

Quote:
ALSO-- If I were to go Compression fittings later on, I'd use these for the RASA kit correct?

You can, yes. For what you'd spend on compression fittings for a Rasa kit, you might consider just getting a better set of components and use barbs. The performance of a better pump outweighs the aesthetic value of compression fittings (in my mind). You're looking at another $50-$60 in fittings if you buy several...this would net you a much better pump. You're then looking at the Raystorm EX kits with a DDC or D5 pump at this point....or even a custom loop.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:59:01 PM

I've heard of the Raystorm kits- they're expensive correct?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 9:05:17 PM

They are the replacements for the Rasa kits, so yes, they are a bit more expensive.

Either way, my recommendation on spending more on a better pump over compression fittings still stands, if you have that money.
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:31:15 PM

May I have a link to the kit-just to see the differences. And yeah, I just don't want to spring a leak and mess something up with barb fittings.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 10:10:03 PM

Raystorm with ex240. The ex240 is the replacement for the rs and rx.
m
l
May 29, 2012 10:37:46 PM

I see, they are about 100 dollars more. Would you recommend those kits instead of the RS240?Plus, the one containing the D5 pump says that its in shortage so its shipped with a different pump 030
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:24:19 AM

Actually-- Do you guys think that i'd be able to attempt a custom loop without getting a starting kit- I say this because I am a fast learner and price wont matter too much as I am getting a job. They say rome wasn't built in a day, well, neither will my PC.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 1:27:45 AM

Most of us go the route of choosing our own components rather than opting for a kit.

I'd rather my watercooling show up in lots of smaller, plain boxes than 1 big, colorful one with pretty pictures on the front.

Good watercooling hardware comes out of many small, plain, ordinary boxes; poor watercooling gear shows up in a single, pretty box.

Edit: signature-worthy stuff right there. :) 
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 1:30:56 AM

Mr fast learner - please read the sticky as all the posters have stated - it'll pay off in huge dividends for you.

@ rubix -
Quote:
Good watercooling hardware comes out of many small, plain, ordinary boxes; poor watercooling gear shows up in a single, pretty box.
now we need to use that as a tag line in your sticky:D 
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:21:18 AM

Lutfij said:
Mr fast learner - please read the sticky as all the posters have stated - it'll pay off in huge dividends for you.

@ rubix -
Quote:
now we need to use that as a tag line in your sticky:D 

For every time you have told me to read it, I read it twice over :bounce: 
m
l
May 30, 2012 2:41:43 AM

Plus, whats the best size tubing? I want some UV Reactive Red tubing. Any good brands/links to some?
m
l
May 30, 2012 4:22:57 AM

I think I am going to get this.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

It was linked to me before, and I like it quite a bit. I think I will also use this with it:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

Do you think that is good sized tubing for a single cpu loop? Also, what is the best setup for the loop? And just for assurance, does the pump in the kit come inside the radiator? I believe it does though. They didnt have the Alphacool pump so they ship it with a Swiftech pump.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 5:28:17 AM

you don't need to add extra tubing, in the initial link for the extreme kit, you can choose the tubing via a drop down menu... 8' uv red
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 6:09:51 AM

Change the fittings to 1/2"x3/4"

@Lutifj WC persuasion FTW *high fives*
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 7:23:04 AM

you mean jedi mind tricks *mental high fives* :lol:  but i see what you mean, from the way this thread started to where its headed...Goo Job, to all of us.

nice suggestion on the fittings, i didn't notice that option the last time i looked at that extreme kit so i neglected to check - good work muffin!

Edit:
just rechecked - snag the 2000 rpm fans and get them to run off a fan controller+you don't need to look at the coolants, distilled water+ kill coil or PT nuke will do the job better than "fine".
m
l
May 30, 2012 10:10:54 AM

Lmao I hope you know every answer you guys have given me is Best Answer worthy.. :p  And what type of fan controller do you recommend? And PT_NUKE is best to get since its only like 2 or 3 drops and forget about it right? :p  And yeah, the reason I was persuaded so fast was because I was unsure of the h100 actually working well, so I wanted assurance. Which is what I didn't get soo :p 
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 10:38:34 AM

most pros go for the lamptron fan controllers. which version depends on your taste and need. The more headers you'll have the better - should round off to about $350 give or take with a fc in your order amongst your WC parts.
m
l
!