KT400 Dragon Ultra Black BIOS - Battery problem

pghjim

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I'm running a KT400 Dragon Ultra Black Edition. It's "new" to me. Bought it to replace a murdered SY-K7V. Actually, it was more like Moboslaughter, because it was an accident - I swear. A screwdriver slipped while replacing a CPU fan and I cracked it, causing a short. Managed to find this KT400 new from a guy on Amazon. Worked out beautifully. Same chipset, etc. Windows didn't even hiccup when I fired it up. Okay, enough rambling - on to the story/question...

Has anyone ever had an issue with batteries literally being sucked dry every few weeks on this model? After any power outage, intentional or otherwise, I have to re-update all my BIOS settings all over again, As long as there's power to the unit, all is well. The first time it happened, I just figured I needed a new battery - installed one, configured and off we went. A few weeks later, after a brief neighborhood power outage, same deal. All of a sudden, it's Jan 1, 2002 and the default CMOS settings are back.

NOTE: I'm only running BIOS version K7VX4-2AA4 - shame on me. I didn't install this Mobo until after our pals at Soyo declared bankruptcy. to tell the truth I don't trust most anyone out there anymore advertising free downloads, even DriverGuide, who I used to rely on for everything. So in addition to looking for a solution to the issue, I wouldn't mind finding a reliable source for driver and BIOS upgrades.

Thanks!
pghjim