Sign in with
Your question

LITE-ON iHAS424 vs. ASUS DRW-24B1ST, which is the better value?

Last response: in Storage
November 11, 2011 4:52:14 PM
November 11, 2011 6:00:20 PM

Lightscribe is only necessary if you want fancy labels on your disks. You will also need to buy special disks designed for lightscribe if you want the fancy label. I prefer the "Sharpie" method of marking disks. Most of the difference in features will be due to the bundled software. I have used burners from both companies and have found no difference in quality. In fact, some of the ASUS burners on the market are manufactured by LITE-ON.

I think it just comes down to whether or not you want the fancy label.
m
l
November 11, 2011 8:11:20 PM

Are the disks designed for lightscribe a lot more expensive? I think I remember reading somewhere that the "Sharpie" method could damage the disk somehow. Have you heard anything about that?

I see the iHAS424 is the #1 seller on Amazon and rated #1 on bestcovery.com too. On Newegg it is only 4 eggs and there are a lot more customers who bought the Asus (rated at 5 eggs). So...I'm a little confused as to which one is actually better.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2011 9:20:26 PM

I buy a 100 pack of regular DVDs at Fry's for around $17.00. A 50 pack of Lightscribe costs around $22.00. I have been using Sharpies on DVDs for years without an issue. If your concerned, they make markers designed to be used on optical disks.

As far as the burners themselves, they are both the exact same units with different face plates both made by LITE-ON. Get the one with whatever face plate looks the best to you.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 11, 2011 10:21:44 PM

TopGun said:
Are the disks designed for lightscribe a lot more expensive? I think I remember reading somewhere that the "Sharpie" method could damage the disk somehow. Have you heard anything about that?

I see the iHAS424 is the #1 seller on Amazon and rated #1 on bestcovery.com too. On Newegg it is only 4 eggs and there are a lot more customers who bought the Asus (rated at 5 eggs). So...I'm a little confused as to which one is actually better.

Get ASUS and the lightscribe is nothing that u really need, as u would need extra time to burn it as well as the disc data burn - 2x as long. Waste of time. Unless u like that fancy stuff :) 

7 Good Reasons Why LightScribe Sucks
http://moderngadfly.blogspot.com/2009/08/7-good-reasons...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Lightscribe&um=1&ie=UTF-...
m
l
November 12, 2011 11:37:29 AM

Max Collodi said:
As far as the burners themselves, they are both the exact same units with different face plates both made by LITE-ON. Get the one with whatever face plate looks the best to you.

Are they really the exact same parts? Do you have a link that proves that? Does ASUS or LITE-ON firmware somehow control how they function differently?

I see the speeds and stuff are all the same, but it looks like the ASUS can permanently delete the data on writable disc, has AVRS (Auto Vibration Reducing System), and OTS (Optimal Tuning Strategy)...

...while the LITE-ON supports the dual-layer function allowing up to 8.5GB data to be burned and saved on a single dual-layer disc, is equipped with advanced SMART-BURN technology to avoid Buffer Under Run errors and automatically adjust writing strategy and running OPC for the best burning quality.

It sounds like SMART-BURN and OTS are the same, and if they really are the same unit, the AVRS should be the same right? The dual-layer function on the LITE-ON sounds pretty cool though.

Lightscribe doesn't really sound like it's something I'd really want, but if it is added to the better drive it would be a nice little extra on something you're getting anyway.

Are there any comparison sites/links for CD/DVD burners?

m
l
November 12, 2011 5:33:27 PM

I don't have a link for you, but if you Google around you will find scraps of information on the subject. ASUS like many tech manufacturers no longer makes their own drives. The reason for this is the drastic drop in the price of optical drives. When the drives cost a hundred dollars or so, it was worth it for companies to tool up to make their own drives. Now that these drives cost 20 dollars or less, it is just not worth it to make their own, so most brands are made now by LITE-ON.

LITE-ON specializes in making a wide array of computer components for other tech companies. Optical drives are one of only two products that they market under their own name. I have both the ASUS and LITE-ON drives and have examined them both inside and out and I can confirm that the drives are the same and both made buy LITE-ON.

The ASUS bundled software comes with E-Hammer, software that can erase disks, but I believe it only works with disks that aren't finalized. I tried it a few times and it never worked for me. I found that sandpaper and metal snips work a whole lot better.

I think that any difference between the two drives have to do with the firmware. Drives with Lightscribe have firmware that can read the code on the inside of Lightscribe disks that tracks the position in the rotation of the disk.

Anyway, I have used both and have had no issues with either one.
m
l
November 13, 2011 8:58:06 AM

Max Collodi said:
I don't have a link for you, but if you Google around you will find scraps of information on the subject. ASUS like many tech manufacturers no longer makes their own drives. The reason for this is the drastic drop in the price of optical drives. When the drives cost a hundred dollars or so, it was worth it for companies to tool up to make their own drives. Now that these drives cost 20 dollars or less, it is just not worth it to make their own, so most brands are made now by LITE-ON.

LITE-ON specializes in making a wide array of computer components for other tech companies. Optical drives are one of only two products that they market under their own name. I have both the ASUS and LITE-ON drives and have examined them both inside and out and I can confirm that the drives are the same and both made buy LITE-ON.

The ASUS bundled software comes with E-Hammer, software that can erase disks, but I believe it only works with disks that aren't finalized. I tried it a few times and it never worked for me. I found that sandpaper and metal snips work a whole lot better.

I think that any difference between the two drives have to do with the firmware. Drives with Lightscribe have firmware that can read the code on the inside of Lightscribe disks that tracks the position in the rotation of the disk.

Anyway, I have used both and have had no issues with either one.

Wow, cool info. Thanks man!

If the only difference then is firmware...is there any way to "mod" the firmware to have all the features from both the ASUS and LITE-ON drives?
m
l
November 13, 2011 5:04:16 PM

I think it just comes down to whether or not you want the Lightscribe feature. By the way, both drives support "Dual Layer" disks. Most of the other "features" are probably just marketing gibberish.
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
November 13, 2011 6:53:43 PM

The iHAS424-98 is a rebadged Optiarc AD-7241S. It should perform similarly to the Optiarc it is based on.

The iHAS424-08 used a MediaTek chipset, whereas the iHAS424-98 uses an NEC chipset. One key difference is that while NEC chipset drives are excellent for doing quality testing of burned CDs, they are generally not as flexible or feature rich as MediaTek drives for testing burned DVDs.

I have one in my tower right now (iHAS424-98)
m
l
November 14, 2011 12:38:00 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
The iHAS424-98 is a rebadged Optiarc AD-7241S. It should perform similarly to the Optiarc it is based on.

The iHAS424-08 used a MediaTek chipset, whereas the iHAS424-98 uses an NEC chipset. One key difference is that while NEC chipset drives are excellent for doing quality testing of burned CDs, they are generally not as flexible or feature rich as MediaTek drives for testing burned DVDs.

I have one in my tower right now (iHAS424-98)

I have not done much (maybe none?) burning of CDs or DVDs on my current PC. I do plan to do some burning with my new PC that I'm looking into these burners for.

Are you saying that I should be looking for a burner with a MediaTek chipset over the iHAS424-98 NEC chipset? (Assuming DVDs would be the storage media I'd mostly want to use over CDs...please correct me if this is a poor assumption)
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
November 14, 2011 5:03:44 PM

They are both great burners and either one will serve you well.I prefer the Liteon because it's retail and you get the software and a sata cable with it!The ASUS is just a drive(OEM).
m
l
!