Sign in with
Your question

Portable hard drives not made in china

Last response: in Storage
November 11, 2011 5:09:41 PM

I am looking for a portable hard drive >= 1TB NOT made or assembled in China. I have had to return the last 4 Chinese manufactured products due to misrepresentation or, more often, failure. It seems "Quality Control" is not in their vocabulary.
November 11, 2011 5:21:24 PM

Almost every name brand portable hard drive will be made in Thailand (which represents 90% of the hard drive manufacturer market). So look out for Seagate, Western Digital and Maxtor, who all make a decent amount of value and high end model drives.

Hurry up to purchase them though, with the problems they have over there, we expect a 40 to 60 pts spike in cost. Most stores haven't raised their prices yet, give them two weeks. Buy now, or wait 3-4 months ^^.
m
l
November 11, 2011 6:40:04 PM

I just returned a Seagate (assembled in China) due to an internal connection problem. I'm sure the drive, which was made in Thailand, was OK but I had to apply considerable downward pressure to even get power to the drive. The interconnect module which unplugs seemed to be the problem. I'm willing to pay a couple bucks more for something that works.
m
l
June 12, 2013 11:25:12 AM

Maestro_1 said:
I just returned a Seagate (assembled in China) due to an internal connection problem. I'm sure the drive, which was made in Thailand, was OK but I had to apply considerable downward pressure to even get power to the drive. The interconnect module which unplugs seemed to be the problem. I'm willing to pay a couple bucks more for something that works.

I had the same problems with several external Seagate drives - made in China - and want also to buy a hard disk made in another country than China. Which manufacturers come into question?

m
l
Related resources
!