Dec 7, 2009
Specs:

XFX nForce 750i SLI motherboard
A-Power AK 750w PSU
XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Graphics Card
Intel Core 2 Quadcore CPU @ 2.66GHz
4GB OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 RAM

Problem:

No video on boot. Motherboard displays "FF" on debug indicator ("Fully Functioning"), blue and red LED's on mobo near clr CMOS jumper. No beeps upon boot. All fans and HDD are running. Graphics Card sounds like it's running. DVI to VGA adapter with CRT (until I get a better display). All components connected and seated correctly. Power connected to all from PSU. What am I doing wrong?

ADDENDUM:

I started over from scratch, disconnected everything but what was absolutely necessary and then started adding one by one. Still nothing. Is it safe to assume that the plugging in the VGA monitor using the DVI to VGA adapter just won't work? It sounds/looks like everything is working except that, and I have nothing but CRT's to experiment with. Any help is appreciated.

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
You tried both of your graphic card's outputs and neither worked, right? That's strange - CRT or LCD with VGA should work just fine with that adapter. You may need to borrow somebody's monitor and adapter to determine whether it's an issue with your CRT, the adapter, or the card.

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I tried both outputs on two of the same video card (my husband has the same one). They each came with two DVI to VGA adapters, and I've tested all 4 on two CRT's with two different VGA cables.

If the board was shot, would that debug indicator say so? It said FF for every component I switched in and out.

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
It's conceivable that the graphics card is toast but still looks good to the mobo - but that's not very likely. Did you swap your card with your husband's to see whether that makes a difference? Your PSU looks plenty good for your system, so I can't think of another issue that might be causing this.

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Yeah, I tried his. He thinks that the monitors we're using are just "too old," but I thought VGA was VGA. Is he right? At this point I'll try anything. I've waited months to get this machine up and this display stuff is the only thing that's keeping me from actually using it.

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I looked through the mobo CD on another computer to find the debug meanings, and it says FF means "Power on and first initialize CPU." Does that mean my CPU isn't actually running? That would suck >_<

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Gonna try husband's PSU and mobo tomorrow (same as mine) to see if one or the other is faulty. A search on google revealed that others who have bought this mobo have had similar issues.

lok

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I saw elsewhere that some people using this mobo had problems with the graphics card not fitting well in the slot so it didn't make full contact with the slot connector. You may want to try pushing it in further to make sure it's not that.

Couldn't download the mobo's manual (XFX's website for some reason wouldn't let me, even after registering), but I assume FF doesn't indicate an error. The code you quote is obviously a poor translation from the Chinese version, but it seems to indicate normal function.

I highly doubt the problem is with your monitors. You should go through EVERY step in the READ before posting about boot problems! sticky at the top of the forum. "No video" problems are so common that the checklist was created to troubleshoot it.

Pay special attention to steps 2 - 8. Are you absolutely sure both the main 24-pin motherboard power connector AND the 4/8-pin CPU power connector are both plugged in? Do you have the 6-pin PCI-E power connector plugged into the GPU? Have you tried each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot?

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I remembered what was wrong. When I first got the mobo and PSU, I noticed that the PSU didn't have the 8-pin 12v ATX power connector, it had the 4-pin connector. I forgot all about it yesterday. -_-U yeah, kind of imperative. Anyway, I ordered a 4-to-8 pin adapter that should be here within a couple of days.

Thanks to all who replied and I apologize for my noob-ness

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

The full installation manuals are on the CD that comes with the mobo. You have to dig through it to find the PDF. No troubleshooting documents.

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
The 4-pin is plugged into the area nearest the CPU (the only place it would fit anyway)
Tried RAM in all slots
Read and reread the sticky about first builds not booting
Did pretty much everything under the sun
The mobo isn't in the case

My case doesn't have JPF2 connector, probably why I don't hear beeps, any way around this besides getting a new case?

Realized how badly written the manual is for the mobo, some parts in broken English, makes me doubtful of its contents

*begs* halp! >_<

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
CPU_FAN is plugged in
24 pin ATX power connector is plugged in
4/8 12V ATX power connector is plugged in
PSU is set to correct voltage, turned on, and plugged in (I get the red LED on the mobo)
Front panel connectors plugged in (power LED is on when I power on using front panel button)
9600 seated correctly, 6-pin PCIE plugged into side
CPU properly installed (I took it out 2 or 3 times to make sure)
HSF (Apack ZeroTherm copper Butterfly) seated and screwed down

What am I missing? Like I said, everything seems to power up. All fans are spinning, GPU runs, when powered on, there is also a blue LED on the mobo. I cleared CMOS, took out the battery.... started from scratch, using my husband's mobo, GPU, and PSU (not at the same time, I started from scratch using one switched-out component at a time)

The FF debug code confuses me. It says "Power on and first initialize CPU" in the manual, but I've read other sources saying it means "Fully Functioning."

I honestly don't know what there is left to do, I doubt both my and my husband's mobos are faulty. The CPU is fine.

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I took my box to my college to ask for some other opinions, and one of the guys has the same mobo as I do. He told me you HAVE to have the 8-pin 12V power connector for it to work, so I need to get a new PSU. Will update when I get a hold of one.

bobbob55

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Hey, I have the same setup as you, although I have a GTX260, and a Q8300. Having same issues as well, sent back the graphics card to company and they said it was faulty, sent a replacement and that dosent work either.

Took it down to a shop, they tried another PCI-E card and still no luck, they think its the mobo too, but not fully sure :(

Which Gigabyte mobo did you get instead? I may have to switch mine too.

Doubt I'll get it working before Christmas :(

bobbob55

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Hey, forgot to repost with some good news :)

The company I took it to managed to locate that the mobo was the issue. I ended up buying one from them and I'm sending the broken one back for a refund, they fitted it and it was ready within 30 minutes. Its an Intel Desktop Board, really bad lol but it does the job.

If I was to upgrade my pc any more in future, I'd have to buy a new mobo, but I was just in a rush to get pc working because of Christmas and the fact I have important work to do.

Bloody XFX :p

Happy Christmas

asianette

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
GAH!!

More problems, or, rather, a new one?

First off, I am a WoW player, which was one of the reason I built the new machine. I got through the first part and then upgraded to Burning Crusades.

Mind you, I'm using the GeForce video card. About an hour or so into BC, graphics started glitching out, like how old Nintendo cartridges did if you didn't blow into them. I rebooted several times, but it kept up. I got a couple BSODs, but they didn't stay on-screen long enough for me to see the error code. Other times, WoW just froze and then crashed. I received an error along the lines of "memory could not be 'read.'"

I switched the video to onboard (I have that Gigabyte mobo now) and turned down the visual settings. Then my machine started rebooting on its own.

Upon next boot attempt, something happened to the Windows system folder, missing or corrupt. I tried booting from the XP CD, but couldn't get past post.

I was running XP Pro SP2.

A few times, I was getting no power at all when I tried to boot. Now, I am again stuck with no video.

Case didn't come with a mobo speaker cable for beep codes, so booting is always silent.

Thinking it's the PSU? Or is this board fried too?