40GB hard shows as 6GB

borcha

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Hello people,

I have a Maxtor 6e040l0 hard disc. It is a 40 GB hard disc, but windows xp only sees 6 GB. I have another two hard that work good, what should I do so that all of the space is recognized? Any freeware disc magic programme?

I know the HDD is old. But if it still runs, it should be used to the max.

Thanks!

bucknutty

Distinguished
if the 40 gig disc is used it might have some funky partitions. Go to control panel then admin tools then compu managment then storage then disk managament.
There you should see your 6gig drive as well as the un-partitioned space or maybe even a couple of old partitions that don't have drive letters.

Make sure to I dentify your other disks by thier drive letters in my computer... you dont want to mess them up.

Delete the 6 gig partition and any other partition with no drive leter.
you should now see the 40 gig drive as raw or no partition. Right click on it and partition and format. This part could take a while.

Note this will erase all data on the 40 gig drives. Becareful in here because if you format or delete the wrong thing you may loose data.!

borcha

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

Well Windows doesn't see any other partitions, just one with only 6 GB for the whole HDD. And no unpartitioned space neither.

Quote snipingkid:
"May have a hidden partition. Try formatting it."
Formatting doesn't help too. Did that first, you know.

So should I just forget about it or is there someone who can save this old piece of s*** ?