Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Patient Guru required to help revive oldIBM think-pad 240x

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2004 6:10:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Ok I'm asking for a volunteer - a seasoned pro who can hold my hand in
a quest of epic proportions yadayada....!

I've an IBM240X and I want to update the OS to XP or Windows 2000 from
NT. I've got a floppy disk drive, and a external dodgy cd rom which
only seems to work intermittently.

I've trawled the IBM site and it offers lots of advice but, There a
lot of basic stuff/terminolgy I don't understand.

I'm hoping to give this to my 9 year old for her birthday so your help
would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Eb

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2004 6:10:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"ebenezer" <ebenezer03@freeuk.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:40e453a1$1_3@news.athenanews.com...
> Ok I'm asking for a volunteer - a seasoned pro who can hold my hand in
> a quest of epic proportions yadayada....!
>
> I've an IBM240X and I want to update the OS to XP or Windows 2000 from
> NT. I've got a floppy disk drive, and a external dodgy cd rom which
> only seems to work intermittently.
>
> I've trawled the IBM site and it offers lots of advice but, There a
> lot of basic stuff/terminolgy I don't understand.
>
> I'm hoping to give this to my 9 year old for her birthday so your help
> would be greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Eb
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

First, you will need at least 128MB of memory, preferably the 192MB, the
max a 240x will take.

I'd recommend Win2k because the 240x model was available as an option at
purchase time and is probably better supported with drivers by IBM. WinXP
is supposed to have all of the drivers included but there are a few things
that you will need to get from IBM.

Here's their site for 240 drivers:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

The easiest way is to copy the installation CD to your HDD and install
from there. You will probably need to make the Win2k/XP installation
floppies.

One of my 240x TPs has XP installed on it but I bought it that way. Good
luck
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2004 9:12:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks for replying - I have 128MB so that's a start.

If I wanted to start the XP install what do I do?

Regards

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2004 12:58:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Am Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2004 20:10 schrieb ebenezer:

> Ok I'm asking for a volunteer - a seasoned pro who can hold my hand in
> a quest of epic proportions yadayada....!
>
> I've an IBM240X and I want to update the OS to XP or Windows 2000 from
> NT. I've got a floppy disk drive, and a external dodgy cd rom which
> only seems to work intermittently.

Being everything else than a Guru I still wonder how you want to install
Windows XP on a TP 240: AFAIK the Microsofties recommend 128 MB RAM
for Windows XP and I am pretty sure the 240er Thinkpads can not handle
so much memory.

But please correct me if I am wrong. :-)

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
July 5, 2004 2:52:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"ebenezer" <ebenezer03@freeuk.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40e453a1$1_3@news.athenanews.com...
> Ok I'm asking for a volunteer - a seasoned pro who can hold my hand in
> a quest of epic proportions yadayada....!
>
> I've an IBM240X and I want to update the OS to XP or Windows 2000 from
> NT. I've got a floppy disk drive, and a external dodgy cd rom which
> only seems to work intermittently.
>
> I've trawled the IBM site and it offers lots of advice but, There a
> lot of basic stuff/terminolgy I don't understand.
>
> I'm hoping to give this to my 9 year old for her birthday so your help
> would be greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Eb
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

The 240X doesn't support sufficient RAM to effectively run WinXP. The
maximum RAM is 192 MB (128 MB stick and 64 MB on the main board). This
is enough for Win 2k. IBM has the directions on how to upgrade to Win2k
on their support site and it is:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=thinkp...

1st you need to uninstall Norton Antivirus from the current operating
system. Next download all the drivers necessary from IBM - located in
the link I put here. Then flash the BIOS to the most recent version if
it isn't already.

Next copy the Win2K installation files, these are in the I386 folder on
the CD, to the 240X hard drive using the external CD ROM. If yours
isn't reliable try to borrow one that works through the PC card slot.

Then click Start -> Run type C:\I386\Winnt32 to start the Win 2K Setup
Wizard. Choose upgrade to begin the installation.

Accept the license agreement and then enter the serial number.

If you can possibly revert back to Win95 before you upgrade, it will
give better results according to IBM.

HTH
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2004 10:04:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks for all your replies

By hook and crook I have managed to
- format the hard disk
- use a combination of the recovery disks for the 240 (Win 95) and
240x (win 98) to load CD rom support via the PCMCIA CD (not USB!)
- create c:\i386
- copy everything from \i386 on teh CD rom to c:\i386
- run Winnt
-this starts the install process - copying files etc which looks
promising but after a while it hangs. I left it for several hours
before rebooting
- when it reboots it looks like it's going to do the install but then
comes the crunch. I get a message saying that the install cannot find
EULA.txt
- I have trawled the net and the concensus is that I seen to ensure
that some path in a .SIF file should be set to "\" - which it is and
to ensure that EULA.txt is in teh i386 directory, which it also is.
- I have tried copying EULA.txt to the root as well before running the
install but still get the same problem.

And run out of ideas!

I've spent many a late hour wrestling with this and can't get past an
error message which says that the setup cannout find EULA.txt.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Eb

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2004 7:52:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Norm" <rxpharm59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cc9jls$29513@news-auh.emirates.net.ae...
<snip>
> The 240X doesn't support sufficient RAM to effectively run WinXP. The
> maximum RAM is 192 MB (128 MB stick and 64 MB on the main board). This
> is enough for Win 2k. IBM has the directions on how to upgrade to Win2k
> on their support site and it is:

I have a 240x PIII 500 with 192Mb of memory. I bought it with XP Pro
already installed. It runs great eventhough I don't like XP and I'll
probably do a clean install of Win2k on this TP.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2004 8:56:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Copy the eula.txt file from the CD to the hard drive.

"ebenezer" <ebenezer03@freeuk.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:40e927ae_4@news.athenanews.com...
> Thanks for all your replies
>
> By hook and crook I have managed to
> - format the hard disk
> - use a combination of the recovery disks for the 240 (Win 95) and
> 240x (win 98) to load CD rom support via the PCMCIA CD (not USB!)
> - create c:\i386
> - copy everything from \i386 on teh CD rom to c:\i386
> - run Winnt
> -this starts the install process - copying files etc which looks
> promising but after a while it hangs. I left it for several hours
> before rebooting
> - when it reboots it looks like it's going to do the install but then
> comes the crunch. I get a message saying that the install cannot find
> EULA.txt
> - I have trawled the net and the concensus is that I seen to ensure
> that some path in a .SIF file should be set to "\" - which it is and
> to ensure that EULA.txt is in teh i386 directory, which it also is.
> - I have tried copying EULA.txt to the root as well before running the
> install but still get the same problem.
>
> And run out of ideas!
>
> I've spent many a late hour wrestling with this and can't get past an
> error message which says that the setup cannout find EULA.txt.
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated!
>
> Eb
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 6, 2004 8:05:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks for the further replies.

As I said, I copied everything from the i386 directory of the CD to
C:\i386. This directory does contain EULA.txt. I also copied EULA.TXT
to the c:\ but still get the same problem

Thanks for your continuing interest in this saga!

Eb

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
July 6, 2004 11:31:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"ebenezer" <ebenezer03@freeuk.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40ea5d34$1_7@news.athenanews.com...
> Thanks for the further replies.
>
> As I said, I copied everything from the i386 directory of the CD to
> C:\i386. This directory does contain EULA.txt. I also copied EULA.TXT
> to the c:\ but still get the same problem
>
> Thanks for your continuing interest in this saga!
>
> Eb
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Please outline exactly the steps you have tried and the error messages
received. In your original post you did not state what you have tried
so far.
July 6, 2004 11:42:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message
news:S5-dnTwtGsf7RnTdRVn-sw@comcast.com...
>
> "Norm" <rxpharm59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:cc9jls$29513@news-auh.emirates.net.ae...
> <snip>
> > The 240X doesn't support sufficient RAM to effectively run WinXP.
The
> > maximum RAM is 192 MB (128 MB stick and 64 MB on the main board).
This
> > is enough for Win 2k. IBM has the directions on how to upgrade to
Win2k
> > on their support site and it is:
>
> I have a 240x PIII 500 with 192Mb of memory. I bought it with XP Pro
> already installed. It runs great eventhough I don't like XP and I'll
> probably do a clean install of Win2k on this TP.
> --
> Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
>
You will have a difficult time going down from WinXP to Win2k in this
system unless it supports a bootable external optical drive. You can
turn off many of the graphics/animation features in WinXP to have it
behave almost the same as Win2K. You may consider this instead.

HTH
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 6, 2004 11:42:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Norm" <rxpharm59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cceh92$29514@news-auh.emirates.net.ae...
>
> "* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message
> news:S5-dnTwtGsf7RnTdRVn-sw@comcast.com...
> >
> > "Norm" <rxpharm59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:cc9jls$29513@news-auh.emirates.net.ae...
> > <snip>
> > > The 240X doesn't support sufficient RAM to effectively run WinXP.
> The
> > > maximum RAM is 192 MB (128 MB stick and 64 MB on the main board).
> This
> > > is enough for Win 2k. IBM has the directions on how to upgrade to
> Win2k
> > > on their support site and it is:
> >
> > I have a 240x PIII 500 with 192Mb of memory. I bought it with XP Pro
> > already installed. It runs great eventhough I don't like XP and I'll
> > probably do a clean install of Win2k on this TP.
> > --
> > Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
> >
> You will have a difficult time going down from WinXP to Win2k in this
> system unless it supports a bootable external optical drive. You can
> turn off many of the graphics/animation features in WinXP to have it
> behave almost the same as Win2K. You may consider this instead.
>
> HTH

You are addressing the wrong poster. I do have a 240x PIII 500 with 192MB
of memory running WinXP Pro. It runs fine. I've been trying out XP on this
system and if I wanted a Mac I'd buy one!

That said, my other 240x came without an OS. I used a floppy boot disk to
run and external PC Card (PCMCIA) CD-ROM to copy the Windows CD to the HDD
and install from there. That was Win98SE. I understand that there are more
problems/switches with installing XP from a HDD.

My suggestion to the OP is do some research on how to install XP from a
HDD.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 8, 2004 12:48:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Norm" <rxpharm59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cceh92$29514@news-auh.emirates.net.ae...
> > <snip>
> > I have a 240x PIII 500 with 192Mb of memory. I bought it with XP Pro
> > already installed. It runs great eventhough I don't like XP and I'll
> > probably do a clean install of Win2k on this TP.
> > --
> > Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
> >
> You will have a difficult time going down from WinXP to Win2k in this
> system unless it supports a bootable external optical drive. You can
> turn off many of the graphics/animation features in WinXP to have it
> behave almost the same as Win2K. You may consider this instead.
>

Addendum:

No that I deneutered WinXP and got rid of the Mac Attack, it's not that
bad, i.e. set it to Classic and got rid of all of the eye candy and
wiz-bang BS.

It's running at least as well as Win98SE on it's twin 240x. I may just
keep WinXP ratherer than going to Win2k on that system.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
July 8, 2004 2:58:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>> > The 240X doesn't support sufficient RAM to effectively run WinXP.
>> > The maximum RAM is 192 MB....


"Effectively" is an arbitrary.

I've successfully installed and run XP on 96/4gig 223mhz P1-MMX
configurations. Granted: It doesn't have much room for anything besides
Office, a couple other apps and a cardgame or two...but that may be all
you need.

--
Reply to mike1@@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

Drug smugglers and gun-runners are heroes of American capitalism.
-- Jeffrey Quick
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 4, 2005 4:12:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Ebenezer
Getting in late on this thread.....

The min specs for windows xp say: 300 mhz cpu, 1.5 gig hard drive and
128 meg ram. Check out:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreq...

When I bought my IBM 240x i bumped the ram up to 192 megs. I had
Win2k for awhile but thought XP PRO would be better for WIFI support
so I rebuilt the machine.

My machine has the 12 Gig HDD. First thing I did using the external
floppy drive and windows 98 startup disk, was to fdisk and format the
drive. Of course this deletes all data for those who might consider
this -back up first.... I used FDISk to create 2 partitions, the C:
partition at about 8 gigs and the D: partition at about 4 gigs. Both
were formatted as FAT32.

From there I installed a copy of windows 95 from a zip disk with
parallel port interface. Very smooth install but slow.

Once windows 95 was installed I added drivers for a PCMCIA ethernet
card. Once that was set up I shared my CDROM from my desktop PC over
my home network to the laptop. From there I copied the windows XP cd
completely over to the D: partition, making sure to create a folder
with the same exact name as the CDROM of the XP PRO install. I also
took that time to copy over any available drivers I had for the 240x
to the D: partition.

This approach requires some network infrastructure, but you could
probably do it with an external CD-ROM that works.

Once it was all copied over, installed windows XP from the D
partition. It installed smoothly, and I was soon in business. After
that I installed the IBM drivers for the PC.

The PC works great, connects to WIFI networks well, and though
somewhat slow compared to the desktop does most of what I want. A
lean mean note-taking machine for school. I have office XP on it and
it does fine, as long as databases and spreadsheets are not too big.

Good luck.

Scooter
!