Closed

Closed/Open Loop cooling tower

I was thinking the other day of the drawbacks to chilling water in a liquid cooling system. Mainly case condensation. I figured that problem would be eliminated if I could automatically keep the water temperature below ambient but above the dewpoint. Then it hit me that I could build an evaporator, spray distilled water on a heat exchanger that has air blowing across it. After running some numbers I believe I could achieve water injection temperatures in the 10-15C range with no risk of condensation. The temperature would be a function of relative humidity and airflow across the evaporator core.

So is there any experience out there? I've looked and couldnt find any related topics. As far as I know this will be a first for PC liquid cooling, it's got me kinda pumped. I'll update with more details shortly and lots of pics as they become available. This build is going to challenge all of my handyman skills, from welding to fiberglass to plumbing to electrical to heat transfer and fluid dynamics. I'll keep everyone posted and I welcome any ideas/comments/criticism.
7 answers Last reply
More about closed open loop cooling tower
  1. If you're worried about condensation all you need to do is properly insulate the loop. Take a look at how vapor cooling works and use the exact same technique. The hardest part to do is the socket itself, it needs to be completely sealed. In the long term this is probably cheaper and easier than using a heat exchanger worthy of a nuclear power plant
  2. welcome to the forums newcomer!

hmm, seems you have some things under control. Hang on, handyman? PM your address I'll need your hands on my vintage build log (J/K) i live in Asia...so i can't afford your tickets should you come over :P

but this seems interesting.
  3. Sounds interesting- can you post some diagrams, etc, of your ideas? First thoughts has this as a modified tower (bong) cooler, but I could be wrong with those assumptions.
  4. Same as, I saw tower, read ohnonotanotherone....
    Check out the subambient cooling sticky up top, 4Ryan6 has something you may like to see
    Moto
  5. When it comes to the traditional chill tower most end up going the bong style route, simply because material wise you cannot beat PVC pipe to create it out of, if that is what you are considering, I have some suggestions to share for increased cooling performance.

Unfortunately one thing you have to first decide is how you will be dealing with the forced evaporation out of the top of the tower, because not dealing with it and exhausting it into the room will end up possibly making you sick, and if over time the right environment is created could kill you, from something like legionnaires disease.

Seeing as how even a small evaporation chill tower works on exactly the same principal as the industrial type, it can become a breeding ground for some pretty unfriendly stuff you will need to take precautions against, this is a possible big negative you need to be fully aware of and take precautions against.

Just because Bill, Joe, Harry, Larry, and Bob, have had their systems up and running a couple of years without any safety precautions in place, doesn't mean every day they're not playing Russian Roulette with their health!

I'm not trying to scare you out of it, if you really want to take this cooling route, you'll do it anyway, I'm just relating you need to proceed with all the possible facts.

So before I end up writing an entire page here for nothing, what are your plans to proceed?

You heat exchanger idea may not cool as well as you think, that's why most experimenting went straight to the bong approach, for the lowest water temperatures they could get, however on the other hand it may very well cool great.

Anyway you look at it a part of that type setup can and will be a breeder of some type of the health unfriendlies, but that doesn't mean some chemical treatment cannot control it.
  6. hehe, 4Ryan6 - our friendly neighborhood doctor :)
  7. This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Cooling Temperature Overclocking