SATA settings in bios for ASUS P7P55D-E LX?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I am wondering if I should change anything in the Storage section in the BIOS of my new Asus P7P55D-E LX motherboard?

I have the option to choose "Configure SATA as": IDE, RAID or AHCI. As for RAID I am not planning to use it, but what would be the difference between IDE and AHCI? The default setting seems to be IDE.

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E LX
Harddisk: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
Dvd: Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7240S
Operating system: Windows 7

Solution
AHCI supports hot plug-and-play operation of the drives and NCQ if your hdd supports it. Normally you do not see much difference for all practical purposes of disk operation.

I guess you know what registry keys to modify in switching from IDE to AHCI after OS has been installed. You may refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 for further information.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thank you for your reply! So AHCI should be selected in BIOS for the SATA drives, would that be done before the operating system installation normaly?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
It is best to set AHCI in BIOS and then install the OS. But you can install the OS first and then change a setting in Registry and then set AHCI in BIOS. Otherwise, Win 7 does not boot.

I prefer to set AHCI first in BIOS. Why mess with registry settings afterwards.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I shall try the registry method first, to avoid reinstallation of the operating system. Thanks for the information about AHCI/IDE. Do you know what kind of performance difference there could be?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
AHCI supports hot plug-and-play operation of the drives and NCQ if your hdd supports it. Normally you do not see much difference for all practical purposes of disk operation.

I guess you know what registry keys to modify in switching from IDE to AHCI after OS has been installed. You may refer to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 for further information.

Solution