Overheating GPU. over 90 degrees celcius...

viper-inc

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
as title suggests..

i have the following specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (2.66ghz)
Heatsink: Thermaltake Blue Orb II
Memory: 4096MB DDR3 1333mhz RAM
Video: Nvidia 9800gx2
Case: Antec 900 (2 bottom intakes, 1 side outtake, 1 top outtake, 1 rear outtake)
HDD: Seagate 1TB SataII 7200rpm, 32mb cache
PSU: Asus Thermaltake Tough Power 750W Modular PSU
Direct X: DirectX 11
Windows: Windows 7 x64

ok... now basically here are the temps at idle in degrees celcius:
GPU1: 56
GPU2: 54
CPU: 45
HDD: 27
CORE01: 46
CORE02: 42
CORE03: 44
Core04: 43

Here were the results whilst playing Battlefield 2 maxed out for around an hour in degrees celcius getting around 100fps constantly:
GPU1: 76
GPU2: 74
CPU: 52
HDD: 30
CORE01: 53
CORE02: 52
CORE03: 54
Core04: 52

Here were the results after playing Call of Duty: modern warfare 2 on maxed out settings for around 10 minutes in degrees celcius getting around 60-80fps constantly:
GPU1: 93
GPU2: 90
CPU: 56
HDD: 31
CORE01: 56
CORE02: 54
CORE03: 56
Core04: 55

Basically as u can see there was a lot more stress on the card on MW2... now for my point...

* ALL of the case fan speeds are at 'High' or full.... I have used rivatuner to make my fan speeds at 100% constantly... The temperatures above are in accordance to 100% fan speeds..
* The case has been cleaned out twice in the past 2 weeks or all dust. So dust is not the issue
* I have relocated the front fans from bottom/middle to bottom/top. bottom/middle reduced temps to the results above. bottom/top were a lot hotter.
* Even with the air-conditioner on in the house these are the same idle temps... Air-con off idle temps on gpu rise to around 64 degrees celcius in idle.

Basically i want to know what is going on. what could be causing these temps,
* aka is it the gpu itself, the cpu's exhaust not being circulated enough and is thus heating the card...
*The ridiculous position of the psu/case sitting under the gpu exhausting its heat onto the gpu directly
* The gpu itself

I might mention that the PC is in no way overclocked at all.. Could this be the issue. playing more demanding games are stressing the card out more than if they were over-clocked a bit and able to handle them. But would this increase temperatures or lower them whilst in-game.

This has been a fairly on-going issue and the temperatures outside are not hot enough to suffice these temperatures. (Also the aircon unit blows its cold/fresh ait down straight onto the case so it should be intaking new/cold/fresh air.

Any help appreciated guys,

Cheers,

viper-inc

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

that did not help what so ever...

the maximum temperature is irrelevant.. no card should be sitting at around 90-100c under stress. as soon as i exit the game. it basically drops 50c. back to idle temps.

correct me if i am wrong. but for a card to get to that heat there is either a cooling flow issue, power issue, system issue, card issue or something similar.

my old 7800gtx wouldn't even get that hot running the game maxed out (with lag fps)

my card gets to a point where the temp keeps going up n up n up then eventually texture drawing starts to go screwy, starts drawing wrong tetures or freezes for about a second before regaining.

the manufacturer will not give me any advice on my system that needs looking into. they will merely say 'that is not right' and try to pin the issue back on me which is where i originally stated it probably is...

viper-inc

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
well i pulled the gpu apart and replaced the thermal paste on both cores..

currently idling around 47 degrees and slowly increasing. but may steady off soon.

I will do another test in game.

In saying that i think i forgot to replace 1 of the screws as it's a bit louder now... LOL. either that or the fan is just clean of dust and is spinning freely (didn't see much dust in it)

I will trial it out with a game n see how it goes n report back.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Well looky here.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800_gx2_us.html

According to nvidia, the max temp is 105. So, technically, you're ok. I'd try to work on your case ventilation to get those down though. I'm not sure how one moves a front fan to bottom/top, could you reword that? In all practicality, you want the intakes closest to the bottom, and the exhaust closest to the top, since hot air rises.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
The psu sitting at the bottom does not exhaust air onto the video card. Same goes with the video card. They are both sucking air from that same point between them so be sure you have enough airflow in that area.

Putting your case fans to high will not guarantee better cooling performance. I would rather check for heat spots inside the case and see where the hot air sticks around and do something to it.

Re-seating heatsink and replacing thermal compound is the last thing I would do to solve GPU heat issues.

viper-inc

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

the heatsink thermal paste that was on it was all dried out and nasty...

replaced with some arctic silver and temps are lower by at least 10 degrees C...

will look at case ventilation now as well.

bl1tz

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Well I have a 9600GT and when I first got it, it ran 45 idle, 60 under load, after a while, it gradually increased in temp until I'm here one year later with it idling at 60 and running 70-80 under load. The problem is the buildup of dust in your gfx card heatsink, I couldn't remove the hsf cover because I didn't have the proper screwdriver and once it went to 90C playing, I forgot, I think it was Dead Space, I took a can of compressed air, blew all the dust out and now it's at its current temps, when I have time I'm going to go and clean my heatsink out properly, maybe you should take the cover off if you have one and clean all the dust out and try it.