Best 5850 Card?

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Is there any difference between the various brands of the 5850? Is one better than the others in any areas or are they all the same? If one is better which one and why?

-Joe

No hardware difference... They all roll off the same production lines.

Only differences are length of warranty, or in the case of XFX, "Double Warranty"

Or perks, Asus offers a utility that allows you to adjust voltages for better OC'ing.

The best HD 5850? It's the one you can buy for a reasonable price if it is in stock.

t0dd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

What would you say is a reasonable price for the HD 5850 right now?

t0dd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Thanks. Would it be better to get that now or wait until the 5970s start dropping in price? Or will that be a long time from now? I've selected the parts for my system, and I'm ready to order them, but I'm not sure what to do about the graphics card.

5970's would take a long time to come down, coz there's no competition! Also, if you plan to get HD5970, also make sure you order a PSU which will be capable of handling the card and get it now. No point, upgrading PSU every time you change the card!

It may be a while before that card drops in price much. It depends on the new Nvidia cards and if they are competitive both in price and performance. As of now no one even really knows when they will be out, much less price and performance.
If your resolution is 1920x1200 or below though an HD5850 should be quite good for a while. If your motherboard allows for crossfire you can always get another one when the prices come down some and have performance similar to the HD5970.

t0dd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks. I forgot to remove the memory I decided not to get.

I see that Dell monitor has gotten a lot of praise for its superior image quality, but is it definitely good for gaming as well? isnt that response time a little on the slow side?

Suggest getting these RAM's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231279&cm_re=gskill_ddr3_1600-_-20-231-279-_-Product

Also the monitor is an IPS panel. They are of the highest quality color and picture reproduction of all the LCD panels. There won't be much difference while gaming. But along with that, movies would seem more life like and no bleeding, higher viewing angles and the works.
All TN panels have a 5ms response time. And the color and image quality really really sucks!

lemon07r

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I'd get a MSI 5850; its the same as the other except better OC (DOT Express), solid capicitators and solid chokes plus , its one of the cheapest versions. If you have the cash pay 10-20 bucks more for the Twin Frozr II version (great cooling). All models come with a Afterburner for better OC and overvoltage.