Sign in with
Your question

Overclock / Upgrade advice please?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 29, 2012 7:33:35 PM

Hi all,

I had my workstation built about 4 years ago now for £1000 but as I do a lot of intensive modelling/rendering (2D and possibly animation) I am thinking it is about time to upgrade some specs, I am thinking without spending a fortune its probably going to be the GPU, RAM and I would also like some advice on whether it is worth/safe to overclock my existing system??

What I am in essence trying to improve is rendering speed and being able to render and multi-task on the likes of Photoshop etc.

Here are the details:

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime this is solved within the next 3 months.

Budget Range: £500 (but obviously it is all about value for money.)

System Usage: 3D Modelling/Rendering (No gaming whatsoever really)

So here is what I already have:

- Case: Black Trident case + 2 front USB
- Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8200 (4 X 2.33GHz) 1333MHz FSB/4MB Cache
- Motherboard: ASUS® P5Q WS: DDR2, SATAII, PCI-e x16, 1 PCI, 2 x PCI-e x1
- Memory (RAM): 4GB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz (2x2GB)
- Graphics Card: 512MB QUADRO FX1700 PCI Express + 2 x DVI + HD-OUT
- 2nd Graphics Card: NONE
- 1st Hard Disk: HITACHI 1TB 32mb SATA 7200rpm HDD
- 2nd Hard Disk: MAXTOR 320GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
- Power Supply: 450W Quiet Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
- Processor Cooling: 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any really, as long as suitable for UK.

Overclocking: Would like to yes if this is worth doing/ not going to kill my hardware.

SLI or Crossfire: Not entirely sure what this means tbh sorry, from what I can gather this would be using two GPU's?? Does this mean I can run my original quadro & another as well??

Monitor Resolution: 2 X 1920x1080

Additional Comments:
- Reducing power consumption is bonus but not critical at all.
- Any general advice on what might be best to upgrade would be really helpful.
- Am I right in thinking my maximum RAM is 2GB per slot totaling 8GB?
- Again, advice on overclocking would be appreciated.
- Advice on whether to stick to QUADRO for my 3D work, or whether now times have changed is it worth me switching to a gaming card for better value?? I do run a lot of AUTODESK software, I think they prefer nvidia??
- I presume there is no point in upgrading the motherboard or CPU as this would be too costly??

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
May 29, 2012 9:42:28 PM

Nice one, thanks for the advice!

Just been looking at what you recommended:

if that's the case with the MB, RAM, CPU...

I see the new MB has total of 32GB available, you have said by 2X 4GB ram, could i also put my other 4GB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz (2x2GB) in as well, and would there be any benefit to buying 2 lots of the pack you said, totaling 16GB??

I've heard the term "bottlenecking" being thrown around, either the CPU or GPU. With the new CPU totaling 15.2ghz, will that be "bottlenecked" when it comes to rendering because of my comparably old FX 1700?

Much appreciated nna2
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 9:52:53 PM

if autodesk uses gpu acceleration then it might, but it dosent look like they do so i wouldnt worry about it (i used 3ds max and it dosent)

and also you cant because thats ddr2 ram, which wont fit in ddr3 slots, and 8GB should be good, but if u can afford 16GB it couldnt hurt :p 
May 29, 2012 10:00:19 PM

if you visit autodesks site they have a list of certified GPUs for thier software both Nvidia brand and ATI. I know I have some engineers here that tried running gaming cards and were not pleased with the results and we have since installed ati firepro V4800 cards that have been running about 165$. If you are keeping up-to-date on your modeling and rendering software I would recommend updating your card as some of the newer version of the programs can be very intensive on your GPU.

Flare
May 29, 2012 10:25:42 PM

It does seem that a lot of Autodesk and Adobe now use gpu acceleration..what implications does this have?

Yeah I keep up to date on my software, would a v4800 be a vast improvement on my fx 1700? Do you not think nvidia is worth the money? Specifically is Quadro what I actually need?

Thanks guys
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 10:30:17 PM

Lego_boy said:
It does seem that a lot of Autodesk and Adobe now use gpu acceleration..what implications does this have?

Yeah I keep up to date on my software, would a v4800 be a vast improvement on my fx 1700? Do you not think nvidia is worth the money? Specifically is Quadro what I actually need?

Thanks guys

Nvidia has quadro, and AMD has firepro
May 29, 2012 10:34:06 PM

Firepro is ATIs modeling and rendering brand and Quadro is Nvidia's. I have very limited experience with The quadros so I am hesitant to say they are what you want but I know that Autodesk has a list certifying both types of cards.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123...
Here is a list that they have on thier site. If it does not come up just google autodesk certified video card and there will be a link to Autodesks site. just select your program or suite and what version of windows you are on. It will list both AMD/ATI and Nvidia cards.

Flare
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2012 10:39:48 PM

Kind of off topic, but there are 5 duplicate threads, can a mod merge/delete these.
May 29, 2012 10:51:29 PM

Yeah sorry, a few days of no replies on one of the threads so I thought it might be best to test the water on some other topics. Thanks.
May 29, 2012 10:54:24 PM

I believe you can always post on your original thread asking for coments to refresh it and see if anyone new can assist you.

Flare
!