Ubuntu/W7U & Mac Lion: Best storage solution?

kenhikage

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I recently lost my external hard drive, so I'm ready to replace it, but with what?

I want something that I can share between my wife's Mac, my dual booting Ubuntu-Windows 7u machine, and the TV. I have plenty of space in my tower, so I was thinking that building a RAID10 would be my cheapest, safest solution. But, while I'm willing to learn, I don't know the first thing about building or networking such a solution.

Would it be better to just buy a "media" HDD instead?

Is there a third solution, such as ZFS, that would work better?

Sorry for my naïveté.

Solution
Sorry! I was a little busy with work.

Yes, that is what I meant. Use FreeNAS you can have a Media Server, but I highly recommend to use drivers-less hardware raid like SPM394/SPM393. You transfer speed would be lots more optimum.

Faced with similar storage needs I found the best option was building a server to act as a NAS. Building a RAID10 is what I did, but it won't work well with a dual booting machine. I ended up building a cheap server (~$200 before drives) and running ubuntu server on it. I found this option was cheaper than buying a NAS.

So, does that mean that I can't...

FireWire2

Distinguished
It sounds the network storage will fit your bill...

1st - DIY NAS, with a door stop computer (old computer)
2nd get a Media Home Server like mine - eBOX-N it will have iTUNE server, streams BD.iSO to HD media player like, DUNE, TVIX, also share date with Linux, MAC, Windows, FreeBSD systems

Edit for clarity

pnorman

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Faced with similar storage needs I found the best option was building a server to act as a NAS. Building a RAID10 is what I did, but it won't work well with a dual booting machine. I ended up building a cheap server (~$200 before drives) and running ubuntu server on it. I found this option was cheaper than buying a NAS.

You could also stick a HD on the Mac and share it from there.

If you build a server, I'd go with RAID5 if you're mainly serving media from it.

If you use an old computer, make sure it has SATA ports. Finding large capacity pre-SATA drives is hard and expensive.

kenhikage

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

I'm sorry, what exactly does that mean?
[EDIT] Does this mean that I could add software to my current machine to make it act as a media server?

So, does that mean that I can't build a RAID internal to my computer and connect that to my current hard drive & Mac?

pnorman

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

Setting up a RAID array is separate from setting up a NAS. You can do one without the other.

Any of your computers could function as a NAS. The problem with using your current machine is that it is dual booting.

FireWire2

Distinguished
Sorry! I was a little busy with work.

Yes, that is what I meant. Use FreeNAS you can have a Media Server, but I highly recommend to use drivers-less hardware raid like SPM394/SPM393. You transfer speed would be lots more optimum.

So, does that mean that I can't build a RAID internal to my computer and connect that to my current hard drive & Mac?[/quotemsg]

You can connect directly SPM394/SPM393 hardware raid volume directly to your Windows/MAC/Ubuntu/Linux/Unix/FreeNAS/Openfiler/SAMBA... and it will works as long as there is an eSATA or SATA port

Solution