Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ubuntu/W7U & Mac Lion: Best storage solution?

Last response: in Storage
November 12, 2011 4:55:44 AM

I recently lost my external hard drive, so I'm ready to replace it, but with what?

I want something that I can share between my wife's Mac, my dual booting Ubuntu-Windows 7u machine, and the TV. I have plenty of space in my tower, so I was thinking that building a RAID10 would be my cheapest, safest solution. But, while I'm willing to learn, I don't know the first thing about building or networking such a solution.

Would it be better to just buy a "media" HDD instead?

Is there a third solution, such as ZFS, that would work better?

Sorry for my naïveté.
a b G Storage
November 17, 2011 10:32:10 PM

It sounds the network storage will fit your bill...

1st - DIY NAS, with a door stop computer (old computer)
2nd get a Media Home Server like mine - eBOX-N it will have iTUNE server, streams BD.iSO to HD media player like, DUNE, TVIX, also share date with Linux, MAC, Windows, FreeBSD systems

Edit for clarity
m
l
November 19, 2011 6:37:07 AM

Faced with similar storage needs I found the best option was building a server to act as a NAS. Building a RAID10 is what I did, but it won't work well with a dual booting machine. I ended up building a cheap server (~$200 before drives) and running ubuntu server on it. I found this option was cheaper than buying a NAS.

You could also stick a HD on the Mac and share it from there.

If you build a server, I'd go with RAID5 if you're mainly serving media from it.

If you use an old computer, make sure it has SATA ports. Finding large capacity pre-SATA drives is hard and expensive.
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2011 4:39:14 PM

FireWire2 said:

2nd get a Media Home Server like mine - eBOX-N it will have iTUNE server, streams BD.iSO work with Linux, MAC, Windows, FreeBSD

I'm sorry, what exactly does that mean?
[EDIT] Does this mean that I could add software to my current machine to make it act as a media server?

Quote:
Faced with similar storage needs I found the best option was building a server to act as a NAS. Building a RAID10 is what I did, but it won't work well with a dual booting machine. I ended up building a cheap server (~$200 before drives) and running ubuntu server on it. I found this option was cheaper than buying a NAS.

So, does that mean that I can't build a RAID internal to my computer and connect that to my current hard drive & Mac?
m
l
November 29, 2011 1:44:44 PM

Can anyone clarify this? Does a raid array have to be external?
m
l
December 1, 2011 3:39:57 AM

kenhikage said:
[EDIT] Does this mean that I could add software to my current machine to make it act as a media server?

Quote:

So, does that mean that I can't build a RAID internal to my computer and connect that to my current hard drive & Mac?

Setting up a RAID array is separate from setting up a NAS. You can do one without the other.

Any of your computers could function as a NAS. The problem with using your current machine is that it is dual booting.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 20, 2011 5:21:46 PM

Sorry! I was a little busy with work.

kenhikage said:

Yes, that is what I meant. Use FreeNAS you can have a Media Server, but I highly recommend to use drivers-less hardware raid like SPM394/SPM393. You transfer speed would be lots more optimum.

Quote:

So, does that mean that I can't build a RAID internal to my computer and connect that to my current hard drive & Mac?[/quotemsg]

You can connect directly SPM394/SPM393 hardware raid volume directly to your Windows/MAC/Ubuntu/Linux/Unix/FreeNAS/Openfiler/SAMBA... and it will works as long as there is an eSATA or SATA port
a b G Storage
December 20, 2011 5:23:43 PM

kenhikage said:
Can anyone clarify this? Does a raid array have to be external?

It can be external/internal depend on your configuration and controllers
m
l
September 3, 2012 11:22:27 PM

Best answer selected by kenhikage.
m
l
September 3, 2012 11:24:21 PM

I ended up losing all my data before I could set up anything. So, when reformatting I removed Ubuntu to reduce future complications.
m
l
!