Sign in with
Your question

Windows's mising 2 gigs of installled RAM

Last response: in Memory
June 22, 2010 5:45:16 PM

I was installing 2x2Gb of RAM on my Asus P7H55D-M Pro Motherboard but windows shows usable RAM at only 1.97Gb,my OS is win7 Ultimate 64 bit, can anyone help...plz
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2010 6:00:32 PM

Try with your sticks separately first and then with both of them. Look in the mobo manual what slots you should use.
m
l
June 22, 2010 6:30:34 PM

Already done it, istalled it one the same color slots i.e blue, also check it out seperately each working fine
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2010 7:13:22 PM

Check in your system BIOS to see if it is in "Install OS" mode. That mode limits the amount of visible memory for older OSs that have difficulty with large amounts of RAM until certain patches are applied.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2010 8:40:15 PM

I don't think it's that but set in the BIOS the RAM voltage to whatever the manufacturer specifies. Do you have OCZ RAM?
m
l
June 22, 2010 9:04:31 PM

OCZ RAM is garbage. I had the same problem with my triple channel kit. Called them and talked for about 30 minutes. I did everything they asked a thousand times even tried it on multiple motherboards and still no solution. Next day I went to Frys and bought a Kingston kit and BAM all 6GB are recognized. There is a reason why OCZ doesn't do refunds or returns...
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 111 V Motherboard
June 22, 2010 9:07:52 PM

Have you tried removing the max memory setting?

Start->Run->[type in "msconfig"]->Enter

Go to Advance Boot Options and remove the check mark from the box
m
l
June 22, 2010 9:10:52 PM

T_T said:
Have you tried removing the max memory setting?

Start->Run->[type in "msconfig"]->Enter

Go to Advance Boot Options and remove the check mark from the box

I was under the impression that was only an issue for Vista users and wasn't necessary for 7.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 111 V Motherboard
June 22, 2010 9:44:47 PM

The max memory setting also applies to Windows 7. If the box is already cleared, another avenue worth exploring is to look into Resource Monitor, ths may point you in the direction of what is hogging your RAM.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2010 12:43:05 PM

gangstap said:
I was under the impression that was only an issue for Vista users and wasn't necessary for 7.

Mistaken impression.

3 things for the OP if he's sure he's using 64: The first is the msconfig suggesion above.

The second is to ensure Memory remapping is enabled in the Bios.

The third is to pull the HSF and processor and ensure there are no bent pins in the socket.

also - I have RMA'd OCZ memory in the past. AAMOF, they sent me the replacement in the RMA package so I was never without.
m
l
!