Sign in with
Your question

[UPDATED]i5 new build. Need urgent help/suggestion.

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2009 12:05:56 PM

After some really hard consideration, I finally changed my specs. Really, I want to build a new computer. My current Dell DM051 sucks.
Specs are the following:
-Intel i5 750 (2.66GHz) (This is a must)
-Gigabyte P55A-UD3P (Any cheaper but almost same performance?)
-4GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Want 1333MHz, 1600MHz too expansive)
-Sapphire HD5750 (Because DX11 and comes with DIRT 2)
-WD Digital 500GB 32MB Cache (Maybe... Some other models?)
-LG 22X DVDRW
-Windows 7 Home Premium (Retail)
-Vantec ION2 600W (Modular) OR Xigmatek 500W BRONZE (Please recommend between 500-600W, cheaper but good quality)
-AOC 19" LCD (5MS, 2000:1, 1440X900)
-Old 2.1 speakers, keyboard and mouse. I dont want to waste money.
I am a midcore gamer, not hardcore. I never play online games. Sometimes school assignments, entertainment, thats all.
I play NFS Shift, GRID, FSX, SC4, TS3, CXL, Flatout Ultimate Carnage, DIRT 2...
I want the system to last at least 3 years, better not be outdated...
Trillions of appreciations!!!!
December 8, 2009 12:26:56 PM

Generally looks good, but not sure about the Vantec or Xigmatek PSU's. I prefer Antec/Seasonic/PCP&C/Corsair for my choices. I know their quality and ratings are pretty good and stable.

* Did you have a case for this system? If so, which one?
* Personally I'd try and fit in a bigger monitor if I were you. 19" is okay, but with the prices these days I'd try for at least a 22-24" one. The monitor will last through upgrades too, so a little more now will be worth it later.
m
l
December 8, 2009 11:19:42 PM

lunyone said:
Generally looks good, but not sure about the Vantec or Xigmatek PSU's. I prefer Antec/Seasonic/PCP&C/Corsair for my choices. I know their quality and ratings are pretty good and stable.

* Did you have a case for this system? If so, which one?
* Personally I'd try and fit in a bigger monitor if I were you. 19" is okay, but with the prices these days I'd try for at least a 22-24" one. The monitor will last through upgrades too, so a little more now will be worth it later.

Its an standard ATX casing...Maybe side transparent. I dont want to waste money on the casing because nobody wants to see it.
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2009 11:52:59 PM

I would suggest using the OEM version of windows. It's a lot cheaper.

I would strongly recommend switching PSUs. This is a good quality/great priced PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The case is important for cooling. There are a lot of good quality cases that don't cost a lot. If you list what you have, we can probably tell you if it's a good choice, or find a better one.
m
l
December 9, 2009 2:35:18 AM

aford10 said:

I would strongly recommend switching PSUs. This is a good quality/great priced PSU.

The case is important for cooling. There are a lot of good quality cases that don't cost a lot. If you list what you have, we can probably tell you if it's a good choice, or find a better one.

Its a standard, cheap ATX casing, c/w a free 80mm fan at the back, I m going to buy an additional 120mm fan to place at the side. Sadly, the computer shop doesn't sell the OCZ PSU. I saw Vantec ION2 600W Modular and Xigmatek 500W BRONZE. Is this 2 good? Which should I choose?
m
l
December 9, 2009 2:52:42 AM

aford10 said:

BTW what is thye difference berween OEM and RETAIL?
m
l
December 9, 2009 3:15:22 AM

Besides the price difference, not too much. You can't call Microsoft for support if you have problems. An OEM version of windows is meant to be installed on one system only. If you were to sell the PC, the copy of windows is supposed to go with it.

Are there any other kinds of PSUs?

Where are you located? We may be able to provide a link so you could order online.
m
l
December 9, 2009 3:53:46 AM

aford10 said:
Besides the price difference, not too much. You can't call Microsoft for support if you have problems. An OEM version of windows is meant to be installed on one system only. If you were to sell the PC, the copy of windows is supposed to go with it.

Are there any other kinds of PSUs?

Where are you located? We may be able to provide a link so you could order online.

I live in Malaysia. Maybe ebay will help...
m
l
December 9, 2009 5:02:59 AM

aford10 said:
http://computers.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=OCZ+Fatal1ty...

Ebay is a great thing. Even if you can't find a seller to ship this PSU to you, there are other very good PSUs that you could check out.

Alright, I really thank you for giving me so much suggestions. Without your help I would buy a crappy computer. BTW may I ask you to do a last errant: modify the specs above to make it 'virtually' perfect?
m
l
!