Sign in with
Your question

Which motherboard should I choose?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 22, 2010 6:44:51 PM

Which motherboard is better for overclocking and gaming?

Motherboard 1:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard 2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Note: with motherboard 2 i can get 10% off and a $20 mail in rebate so I'm already seeing some savings...

Thanks in advance!

More about : motherboard choose

a c 197 V Motherboard
a c 105 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
June 22, 2010 7:01:41 PM

The Gigabyte board would be my choice. The MSI board looks pretty good and recently I have read some good things about their newer motherboards but I have used Gigabyte for years and they are always of the highest quality.
m
l
June 22, 2010 8:38:39 PM

I've always been a big fan of gigabyte TBH.
I'm looking to build me a new system as well.
Any idea of what CPU would be decent on that GB mobo? It is a gaming PC.
Not rich but something that has enough punch to last me a year or 2 on new games.

Also I was wondering...with the latest GFX cards they say PCI express 2.0 or 2.1 Is that something special the mobo needs too support and something I should be aware off when choosing my mobo?

Thank you very kindly for your time.

Dirk
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2010 10:49:06 PM

Also been thinking about going wthe the P55-UD4P
m
l
a c 197 V Motherboard
a c 105 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
June 23, 2010 1:18:35 AM

Thunder1971 said:
I've always been a big fan of gigabyte TBH.
I'm looking to build me a new system as well.
Any idea of what CPU would be decent on that GB mobo? It is a gaming PC.
Not rich but something that has enough punch to last me a year or 2 on new games.

Also I was wondering...with the latest GFX cards they say PCI express 2.0 or 2.1 Is that something special the mobo needs too support and something I should be aware off when choosing my mobo?

Thank you very kindly for your time.

Dirk

It would have been better to start a new thread so more people would see it. Especially since you changed the topic from AMD to Intel ;)  No big deal though.
My choice for any Socket 1156 is the i5 750. It is an amazing CPU that is basically faster than anything AMD even makes including the 6 core Thuban. At $200 it is hard to beat. With a P55A UD4 that would make a great combo and would be my choice if I was upgrading today.
For the AMD system the Phenon II x4 945 or 955 would be the way to go. Either will overclock ( even on stock cooling ) to 965 levels so there is no need to spend extra for the 965.
Either Intel or AMD I would use this memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is very fast with tight timings, quite cheap and very reliable.

PCI-E is backwards compatible and while the 2.0 and 2.1 offer a bit more bandwidth it is nothing to be concerned about. Unless you are running a very high end card even 1.0 does not bottleneck at all.
m
l
June 23, 2010 7:43:51 AM

Point taken on the new thread.

Hehe exactly what I had in mind for the MOBO and CPU...Was thinking of the -UD4P with the i5 750 :) 

My new GFX will be a 2.0 compatible card for sure. nothing too fancy but something that'll last me a while. Probably looking for a performance/ quality/ price combo.
Always used to work with XFX cards...may need to do some research on that.

Thank you for the explaination on the 2.0 -2.1 issue.

Much appreciated!!
m
l
a c 197 V Motherboard
a c 105 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
June 23, 2010 8:53:12 AM

Glad to help.
m
l
June 23, 2010 7:16:39 PM

Well, Thanks for completely switching this thread to something irrelevant towards my question. You asked a question inside another question, that was pretty stupid...
m
l
a c 197 V Motherboard
a c 105 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
June 23, 2010 7:40:06 PM

Well it was his first post on the site so we can forgive him this once for bad etiquette :kaola: 

Anyway if you have any other questions ask away.
m
l
!