File or directory is corrupted or unreadable

Hi,

My dad moved all of my mums photos off her computer onto their external hard drive. My mum didnt know this until yesterday and she went to have a look at the photos but it says that some files are unreadable and corrupted. I have never seen my mum so upset before, her 3 kids lives are in those pictures. So would you please be able to help me?
6 answers Last reply
More about file directory corrupted unreadable
  1. Best answer selected by jblacklock.
  2. You can also try using Linux if you have that available. I tried plugging the drive into a pc running Ubuntu when I had the same problem and it worked without problems. Apparently these issues can be OS-related.
  3. Cheneymay said:
    No matter how you try to restore you data back, you absolutely need a recovery tool to help you.
    Coincidentally, my friend has recently experienced the similar data recovery problem and tries a free hard drive recovery tool that satisfyingly restores all his inaccessible data back. So, I trust it will completely restore your data back, too. Give it a shot: http://freeware-fix.blogspot.com/2013/02/pen-drive-unreadable.html
    In the future, you should learn a lesson to back up all your important data at least on two drives in case of data loss.

Cheers for recommending Pen Drive Recovery. I was able to recover some personal backup files from a corrupted folder on a USB drive (which occurred during the Windows 8.1 upgrade). I recommend this app.
  4. jblacklock said:
    Hi,

My dad moved all of my mums photos off her computer onto their external hard drive. My mum didnt know this until yesterday and she went to have a look at the photos but it says that some files are unreadable and corrupted. I have never seen my mum so upset before, her 3 kids lives are in those pictures. So would you please be able to help me?

Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened.

Since you are having problem with G & H drivers, enter the below command

chkdsk /f g: --> Press Enter.

chkdsk /f h: --> Press Enter.

Good Luck
  5. kwagalamoshe said:
    jblacklock said:
    Hi,

Hello,

Try this 1

Good Luck

MANY THANKS, IT WORKS... GOD BLESS YOU! :)

Thanks!
  6. kwagalamoshe said:
    jblacklock said:
    Hi,

Hello,

Try this 1

Good Luck

This works! Thanks mate! I stored a lot of movies on my HDD.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer External Hard Drive Storage