New Computer SSD setup

dgolfnut55

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I have a new computer running windows 7 professional 64bit. It has a 120gb SSD drive and a 1 TB spinner which I have partioned as a 400gb data drive and a 600GB backup drive for daily disk images for easy failure recovery.

I have 67gb remaining space on the ssd and don't anticipate that ever being filled with photos, music, and documents. Not a gamer.

I have moved my temporary internet folder to the HDD. I was considering moving all my data to the HDD so it would be just programs and operating system on the SSD, but then thought why bother. Now my inclination is to leave everything else on the SSD until I need the space - which may not be in this computers lifetime (which I anticipate to be 8-10 years like the last one.)
I will make the HDD the default for video files.
I stopped the scheduled automatic defrag that w7 seems to have as a default as this makes the incremental backup images much larger.

Is there any reason to move all the data to the HDD if I have plenty of space?

Is there anything else I should move?

Are there any other setup recommendations?

Thanks,
Dave

rsinj

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I would actually leave the temporary internet files folder on the SSD and clear it upon exiting your browser as you'd get better performance while surfing.

If you have plenty of space on the SSD, there is obviously no immediate necessity to move to the HDD. But personally, as a technologist having an OCD complex, I would go the last step and move the data files from the SSD to the HDD - I mean you have 1TB there - use it. The price of the space on the HDD is less expensive than on the SSD.

As far as other things - your thinking is correct - in general, keep OS and program files on the SSD, everything else on the HDD.

One last thing to consider - disable hibernate and have W7 remove the hibernate file. I personally don't think it's necessary, and the hibernate file will routinely use 5 GB or more on your system drive.

dgolfnut55

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks, I turned hibernate off.

I'm thinking I would be better off leaving things on the SSD for now so the backup is on a different drive. If I get to the point of needing another drive for data I'll put a 3rd drive in and use 1 HDD for data and 1 for backup. I'm got a little OCD about backup images.
Dave