$600 budget for everything

kc9bvl

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I am wanting to build a new pc. I only have $600 to work with i need to purchase all components+OS+monitor,keyboard,mouse. I have tried putting together something on Newegg but always go over budget. any help would be greatly appreciated. All it needs to do is surf the web, burn dvd's, and play WOW.

MaxwellFarrell

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

I tried to build one from scratch on Newegg but i think $600 is pretty unrealistic (although i'm not expert)
i did come across this though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220017&cm_re=330_ion-_-83-220-017-_-Product

ThyTempest

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
A 600 budget with OS and Monitor is pretty tough. I am awaiting my parts right now that totaled out to 550 after rebates without a monitor, os, mouse or keyboard. I would check out craigslist, ebay, Tom's classifieds or deals through retailers/etailers on prebuilt systems. The problem is the monitor and OS kill a hundred bucks each. If you can find a monitor locally through craigslist (around me all the time) for about 40-50 bucks, that will save you some, and you could probably find an XP license pretty cheap, but Win 7 is the way to go. A simple kb/mouse combo is 20 bucks, but it wont be much, especially for WoW, which is very macro/function reliant.

If it helps, it depends on how you play WoW. I just started on my Toshiba A-205 (1.72 C2D, 2GB of DDR2, Intel GMA 945) running Win 7 and I get a consistent upper 20s to low 30's frame rate, which is fine. I have only been doing solo and small party stuff though, no group quests or raids, and I doubt the laptop could handle it.

Sorry for the long talk, basically, look for some steals to piece it together as you go.

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
A complete deal with o/s and monitor will be tough for $600, and will certainly involve a lot of compromise on performance level, looking around to see what I can come up with. In the mean time something to consider might be a complete laptop along the lines of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220636 It may not play brand new games at highest settings, but does include a dedicated GPU, which is not terribly common in sub $600 laptops.

I'll come back with anything I'm able to come up with desktop build wise.

If you check out the "Recommended Builds by Usage" stickied thread in the General Homebuilt section, you'll see a $500 build that's about as cheap as you can get and still have quaility. Also note that doesn't include an OS, monitor, speakers or keyboard/mouse.

The cheapest I've seen one built here was ~$450 without the OS or monitor. Windows 7 will cost at least $100, and monitors are usually another $100. That puts you over without even being able to control it...