Computer Freeze Lag

Fortune1337

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hello everyone! I'm new to these forums and i'm in a bit of pickle here.

I'm not very tech savvy, I'm a novice at these things. I built this computer from newegg.com and have had this computer for over 2 and half years now.

My computer for the past week has been getting a horrible freeze lag only during applications like games. It's a gaming computer, and the problem occurred when I took it over to a friends house to LAN. The story goes like this, while transporting the tower it was right side up and we hit some pot holes so it was somewhat bumpy nothing major. When I setup my rig at his home my computer would not start properly, I would turn it on then after a few seconds it would shut off completely. After a few hours of not being able to figure it out I took apart my computer unplug everything and noticed that my heat sink was somewhat loose. I took it off and even took out the CPU to see anything looked wrong, after that I put everything back, applied thermal compound to the heat sink re-wired and it ran. After less than an hour I would get this horrible lag on any game I played, it would be a 3 seconds lag freeze and then would run smoothly. Now this lag only happens during applications and not while i'm on the desktop or surfing the web, APPLICATIONS only. Frustrated I thought it was a software problem and then reformatted my computer.. yes i know what your thinking but at this point I didn't care since I had nothing I couldn't get back with a little time. After completely formatting my drives and installing my WIN 7 software, it was running smoothly for a few hours then Baam it came back with a vengeance. At this point I tried doing some troubleshooting to find out which one of my hardware was having problems. I tried using a new set of Graphic Cards and some spare ram. Same thing happened so I excluded those from the problem, I asked a very tech savvy friend of mine and he told me to run Prime95 to check my CPU, after 5 hours of a blend run (testing a little bit of everything and A LOT of ram) it found nothing wrong. At this point I don't know who to turn to and I remembered this website from a while ago so I decided to ask most of you guys and gals.

Also I went into my BIOS and loaded to optimize and set everything back just in case. The problem is inconsistent I don't know when it will strike, but when it does i felt my Graphics card plate and RAM and it was really hot ><. I put a small steel fan about 2 feet from it blowing on LOW. Sorry it's such a big post I wanted to be thorough so I don't waste anyone's time, also I don't know if I posted on the right category.. so let me know and I will create a new one in the proper thread. Thank you in advance for looking my problem over! If you need any additional information about my system please let me know. Also remember it has ran for 2 1/2 years until my LAN incident.

My computer:

Graphics: 8800GT Nvidia 256
Memory: 4096MB RAM (Corsair Brand)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40hz (CPU's) ~2.4ghZ
Bios: Default System Bios
System Manufacturer: MSI-7510
System Model: MS-7510

Solution
Uh, did you check your temperatures? You might not have put the CPU cooler back on properly. If anything goes higher than 70 C, that's dangerous.

Is it an aftermarket cooler, or is it the one that came with the CPU? If you haven't gotten an aftermarket cooler yet, I suggest now is the time. May I suggest the CM Hyper 212 Plus? 30$, and it provides a lot of cooling.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Uh, did you check your temperatures? You might not have put the CPU cooler back on properly. If anything goes higher than 70 C, that's dangerous.

Is it an aftermarket cooler, or is it the one that came with the CPU? If you haven't gotten an aftermarket cooler yet, I suggest now is the time. May I suggest the CM Hyper 212 Plus? 30$, and it provides a lot of cooling.

Solution

Fortune1337

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

Oh man I can't believe i didn't even give it a second thought, I downloaded realtemp and all my cores went over 70C just running a game. I think my heat sink is just showing off because it's running but not doing anything.. Watching live streams sends me to 60C right away ><. Thank you for the reply gracefully!