Should I lower my cpu voltage?

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
hey hey folks!

Hope all is well, quick question. My i7 2600k is @ 4.4GHz with 1.28v. I notice some folks manage to hit these speeds at lower voltage. I ran prime, occt etc to ensure stability it pass all test only problem is my temps are in high 40's on idle and 60+ on load. Would it be wise to lower the voltage? I want to keep this cpu for at least two years and wonder if anyone can give some advice on this. Better safe then sorry! Thanks for feedback!

Oh and my cooler is a Corsair H cooler, I kind of expected better temps, checked thermal twice seems fine. Using Artic Silver 5.

Solution
Hi

Intel's thermal throttling will kick in at 95C, at this temp the processor lowers its clock speed and voltage in an attempt to reduce heat, so some may say 95C is the max safe temp, but I personally wouldn't want to go over 80C for stress testing, and many people will say lower than that.
It kind of depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Certainly at the temps and voltage you've mentioned your processor will be fine for many years to come.
Hi

Intel's thermal throttling will kick in at 95C, at this temp the processor lowers its clock speed and voltage in an attempt to reduce heat, so some may say 95C is the max safe temp, but I personally wouldn't want to go over 80C for stress testing, and many people will say lower than that.
It kind of depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Certainly at the temps and voltage you've mentioned your processor will be fine for many years to come.

Solution

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Thank you, weather is getting warm and I never pushed my cpu's above 4.0+GHz before so I wanted to ask more experienced overclockers. :lol: It never passed 70c so I guess all is good then?

I would say that's perfectly fine, Seems like a good mix of power and safety ;)

TRENDING THREADS