Sign in with
Your question

790fx vs 890fx

Last response: in Motherboards
June 22, 2010 10:45:41 PM

Hi what do I get with a 890fx that I don't get with a 790fx?

Thanks

More about : 790fx 890fx

a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2010 11:05:45 PM

A newer south bridge and better support for 6-core CPUs.
June 23, 2010 7:28:13 PM

Cheers megaman, do you think south bridge is worth the extra cash. I'm not going to work a serious amount of clocking, I just want the option to have good crossfire support down the line.

Oh and thank you for your time. That was my first forum question I ever posted. so cheers
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2010 8:08:54 PM

Here is a simple comparison chart for you

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

You will notice that the 790fx and 890fx both use an older manufacturing process and may indeed actually be the same chip. Still, the 850SB provides faster SATA ports and 2 more USB ports. The biggest addition to me is RAID 5, but higher end 790fx chips often include that as well.

If you're going to just get a quad core chip, an AM3 790FX board is probably the way to go. Only pay more for the 890FX board if you're going with a 6-core chip. Of course, make sure that the shipping BIOS supports it.
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2010 8:16:31 PM

You also get USB 3.0 Support the next step in USB evolution and SATA 6GB/s doubling the speed of the previous 3GB/s SATA seeds (although it may take some time before these new technologies reach their full potential).
June 24, 2010 6:07:49 PM

I'm going to use a 6 core processor. One thing I've never learned over the years is how to flash a bios (apart from inside windows). I'm going to have to learn this fast as I imagine I won't get 6 core support out the box (mainly because I a cynical fool). In fact will I be able to flash a mother bios with a processor that isn't supported by its firmware? Time to do some googling. Thanks for your help.
!