Sign in with
Your question

Bios resets to network setting only

Last response: in Components
February 18, 2010 7:18:01 AM

I have a strange problem with a compaq 3,4 ghz model number compaq dx7200 mt base unit
I have reset the bios using 3 different way .
I got rid off the password that protected the system but the bios resets only to a choice of Floppy
usb

or network
It wont recognice anything although it recognized the cd once but that dissapeared.
I dont have a floppy on my home computer but I have an external hard drive
does the bios need flashing and if it does is there any way I can flash it from my external hard drive?
Any help would be welcome
February 18, 2010 2:50:25 PM

are you saying that the bios does not see your harddrive?
February 18, 2010 5:32:15 PM

It doesnt see the hard drive or the dvd and it will not rest bios to a normal one but it lists as boot order floppy---Usb--Network device
Related resources
February 18, 2010 6:04:50 PM

are you able to enter the bios by holding down the f10 key when first powering on the system? can you go into the storage option and see your dvd and hard drive...can you change the boot order to dvd then hdd?
February 18, 2010 6:12:27 PM

I can now enter the bios after removing the bios pass word but I cant see hard drive or cd it says i have ide hard disk somewhere but the thing wont let me change the boort order no options either disable usb disable usb and the same with the floppy but it seems to me thatthis was a factory computer working on a net work and the bios factory settings take me to the same options
ty
February 18, 2010 7:10:35 PM

are your dvd and hard drives both ide drives? are the master/slave setting correct?
February 19, 2010 5:08:33 AM

yes I set the hard on the first as master and the dvd as slave. even tyried the in different settings still no luck?
Keep thinking
Thanks
February 19, 2010 12:33:22 PM

are the dvd drive and hdd on the same ribbon cable? is the master on the end of the cable and the slave the middle connection? do you have anouther ribbon cable to try? try each one as master at the end of the cable. is the cable reversed?
February 19, 2010 12:37:48 PM

try them one at at time.
!