Sign in with
Your question

Please help a newbie with bios info...

Last response: in Motherboards
June 22, 2010 11:49:26 PM

Hello,
I inherited a Compaq R4000 notebook recently which is like new (hardly used at all) but sloooooow... so I maxed out the ram which helped but it is still slooow. I even bought an Athlon 64 4000+ cpu (which is listed in the maint. & service guide as an upgrade cpu) but it wouldn't boot at all so I put the original Sempron 3000+ back in. The current/original bios (Phoenix) has NO overclocking capabilities so here is my question:
Is there any company that "makes" a generic bios that will work in virtually any pc/notebook? I realize that it would have to be for a specific pc (like Ford brakes won't fit a Chevy) but you get the idea, right??

More about : newbie bios info

June 22, 2010 11:55:34 PM

Hmmm, sorry to burst your bubble but both of those Athlon CPUs really just won't do and BIOS is dependent on the motherboard itself. Notebooks/laptops have very limited components that can be upgraded if I'm not mistaken and so it wouldn't really be possible to suddenly get a new BIOS with a range of overclock settings and features (you're better off buying a new one to really see a performance boost).

Asus, Gigabyte and MSI all make some great mobos for overclocking capabilities, and this is where their own BIOS comes in to distinguish one from another.
m
l
a c 302 V Motherboard
June 23, 2010 2:49:20 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

If ur laptop has a CPU support list must have a BIOS update available, look for it and update ur BIOS for support the 64 4000+
m
l
a c 104 V Motherboard
June 23, 2010 2:34:44 PM

See my reply to MooreGeorge regarding "computer motherboard repair" - it addresses some of these BIOS issues. Specifically about flashing the BIOS.
m
l
!