Sign in with
Your question

Can't load OS on new computer

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2009 6:50:52 PM

Hi

I built a new computer a couple weeks ago. I'm having an odd problem. I reused the 2 hard drives from my old computer and fired up the new one with no problems. I installed the motherboard drivers and new vid card drivers and everything was fine.

I decided to format and do a fresh install of windows XP pro. It makes it to where it says there is 35 min left and I get a blue error screen that says IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Thats about all I can see its complaining about.

I tried a friends copy of windows 7 and it starts to load drivers and crashes in a blue screen after. It never gives me any options of what to do. It starts up off the cd and loads drivers and thats it, no menu apears. On my old comp a menu came up asking what i wanted to do. XP brings up the menu but can't finish installing. Exact same issue with both hard drives.

I bought a new hard drive and its the same. I'm guessing maybe its a motherboard issue? Maybe a setting is wrong? They are all sata drives.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 motherboard with intel I7 860 CPU, 4 gigs of G skill ram, ATI 5770 video card, WD 500GB HD, 250GB Maxtor HD, also an ancient WD raptor 36GB HD

I cannot load windows on either WD hard drive. I'm leaving the maxtor alone so I can use my computer.

Both these cd's worked on my old computer, its unfortunatley dead. I could try putting my hard drives in a friends computer to load windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks

More about : load computer

a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2009 7:02:44 PM

BSOD's are most commonly caused by RAM problems. Which exact G.Skill RAM kit do you have? Have you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors?
m
l
December 9, 2009 4:15:58 PM

My ram is G skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM 4 gigs DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 1.6 volts
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=221&c1=&c2=&se...

My motherboard does not accurately detect it, it says 800/1066/1333/2200
G skill says its 1600 ram works on my motherboard, which it seems to be fine when its running.

I changed some settings for the ram and XP loads now but still no windows 7, I wanted to try it before buying it.

I do see after looking up the 2200 ram that my motherboard needs a bios update for it, maybe this MB has issues.

Thanks
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 9, 2009 4:32:49 PM

All you need to do to get your RAM running at 1600MHz is to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage in the BIOS. You would set it to 1600MHz with 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.6v since that's what they're rated at. The RAM doesn't have compatibility issues with your motherboard, you just need to set the RAM values.
m
l
!