High-pressure water mount

Mistress Zaida

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Can anyone help me perform this mod please:

High-pressure mount for H100

Firstly, does anyone know where to buy the 'extra beefy asus backplate'?

For the bolts and springs, I'm thinking this kit might be appropriate:

Mounting kit

Anyone know if that will work?

If you look at the same type of mount here (but on an air-cooled):

High-pressure mount for air-cooled

It shows the nylon washers between the bolts and the back-plate.

Do you also need nylon washers to go either side of the motherboard, to insulate?

If so, will you need more nylon washers than that kit has in it? And more metal washers?

In fact, looking at this picture (sorry, I couldn't work out how to insert the picture here - the picture you can see of the assembled screw when you click on the 'Mounting kit' image above) - can someone just clarify the exact order that the parts go in (as in, bolt, nylon washer, backplate, nylon washer, mobo, nylon washer, etc). I know it shows it in the High pressure air cooler thread above, but I want to be sure about it.

Plus any other advice about how to correctly perform this mod appreciated!

Connected with the above mod...

Lapping the CPU/H100:

When I've read of this, I hear people say 'my one was convex, concave, raised on one side' etc. How to tell this? By eye? Spirit level?

So, how to tell when it's finished? I understand a mirrored finish is perfect. But how to tell if it's 100% flat and each bit fits perfectly flush onto the other bit?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Not too sure on the high pressure kits/plates, but the way to assess a chips flatness involves a razorblade, place it on the chip and if you can see a gap between the bottom of the blade and the Ihs of the chip, then it is unlevel, as you noted sometimes concave etc,
the reason that guys rig got quieter when he removed the mesh is that the mesh was no longer disturbing the airflow,
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
.I am currently in the process of polishing my blocks for the video cards and I do try my best to match the shape of each chip to the block. by first sanding to the desired shape than polishing to a mirror finish, it helps the heat transfer to be more evenly dispersed into the block. I use a mic and a pair of calipers along with a few other tools in order to determine the shape of the chips and how much to remove from the block and where, but simply giving the block a good finish is enough to improve temps.

Mistress Zaida

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Thanks for that info guys!

I used a razorblade and it turned out both the CPU and H100 were concave, probably not a good combo...

So I lapped the H100, now it's perfectly flat. I'm not doing the CPU, going to check it's all working fine (it's a new build) before I do that ;)

High-pressure mount update:

I got that mounting kit through the post. Had to drill wider holes in the frame of the H100. It worked, although I very nearly drilled through the water pipe!

In my opinion, the back plate on my mobo (Asus Rampage IV Extreme) is sturdy enough, looks as good as the one in that guide does.

Put it all together. Just need to decide/research which paste works best under high pressure then work out how much pressure to apply to the thumbscrews.

Anyone know how to tell how much to tighten the thumbscrews?

Opinion varies, I like them rock solid, others will say a half turn after the block contacts is sufficient,
its what you want to call good thats right for you, just remember to ensure all four are equal, tighten each one in turn, half a turn each time
oh, and if theres a cracking noise, or the block starts bending, that there would be too much :p
Moto

My Thermal Compound Recommendation You can check sig results, if you want.

Regarding tightening, after all the work you've done to get to this point, I suggest trial fitting, and test tightening, and removing, and inspecting the resulting thermal footprint, so you know exactly whats going on under that water block and exactly how much pressure it takes to acquire it.

Mistress Zaida

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Thanks for that!

I tightened them a LOT...

There was a little cracking sound at one point, I bricked it but kept tightening (I don't why, I just felt like I couldn't really turn back by that point ;-)

They seemed to get really tight, then reach a point where I could get past that and they'd turn easier again.

Ran the profile thing at 4.7Ghz and ran that Prime 95 and it seems like my temps were too high (up to 79c). Also a big difference between cores (9c).

Gonna try again, with better paste (Prolimatech PK1), and maybe lap the CPU now I know it's working okay.

Happy days! :D