Antec 900 New Build, quick question

Reanimation

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Ok, so I have the Antec 900, and am Installing, at least at the moment, 1 optical drive and 2 WD Caviar Black 640 Gb drives. Now, obviously I will be placing the Optical Drive in the top of the 3 sections, but given I have two hard drive trays, with three spots each to choose from, I wasn't sure if there was an optimal way to mount them. I was thinking one in each tray, in he middle, as to minimize any air flow being blocked from the two main fans in the front. As the fans blow the least amount of air in the center (I believe), I figured that would not only aid in cooling the HD's on top and bottom, but also allow the greatest flow of Air through the system. Thoughts or comments, as in am I right, totally crazy, or option C?

- C

Solution
You should be fine on the air flow even with them in the trays, the hot air will get sucked out no matter what. But you may be able to get "HDD coolers" and the may fit in the trays with them, I know on my bros 932 they do. And then you wont have to worry about any hot air coming from the HDD's to the rest of the computer, BUT as for blockage, you should be fine. I mean they are designed that way for a reason.

nekko

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
You should be fine on the air flow even with them in the trays, the hot air will get sucked out no matter what. But you may be able to get "HDD coolers" and the may fit in the trays with them, I know on my bros 932 they do. And then you wont have to worry about any hot air coming from the HDD's to the rest of the computer, BUT as for blockage, you should be fine. I mean they are designed that way for a reason.

Solution
Why would you put the optical disk in the top? The 900 is a great case for putting the optical drive at the bottom and moving the HDD bays up to provide front-> rear airflow over the ram to the CPU. Then you can use the space under the optical drive to store the excess power supply cables where they dont affect airflow. One HDD per drive bay wont affect airflow that much.

vznoobie12

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

I can vouch for this. This is exactly how I set it up in my 902. My two small gripes with it: 1. your dvdrom is a hassle to get to if your tower in on the floor, but since mine is on top of my desk... it doesn't concern me and 2. it looks less aesthetically pleasing IMO. Well, at least before I added my fan controller. Now it's all dandy and sexy again :D.

But yeah, your 120mm front fan will be in a straight line towards your ram/cpu/heatsink. Also, you can opt to put another fan inside the HD cage using the bracket they give you.... and your videocard won't interfere with it, like it usually does if you put it in the middle.

TRENDING THREADS