LPR print services - printing from unix

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I have windows XP with a printer attached to a UPC port. It is the default
printer for this PC. I have installed Print Services for Unix from Add/Rem
programs/ windows components. I then went on my unix box and set up a
printer to print to my PC's printer. I have done this before (a long time
ago). Isn't there something else I have to do on the PC side in Services? I
did start the TCP/IP Print Server and rebooted. Is there something else?

Dan
2 answers Last reply
More about print services printing unix
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    You need to set the service to Automatic start on boot. The default in XP
    is manual.

    You may need to change how the LPD service handles the job with regard to
    document formatting but if it just works don't monkey with it.

    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Dan" <gill_daniel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have windows XP with a printer attached to a UPC port. It is the
    default
    > printer for this PC. I have installed Print Services for Unix from
    Add/Rem
    > programs/ windows components. I then went on my unix box and set up a
    > printer to print to my PC's printer. I have done this before (a long time
    > ago). Isn't there something else I have to do on the PC side in Services?
    > did start the TCP/IP Print Server and rebooted. Is there something else?
    >
    > Dan

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    And if you have a firewall anywhere enable TCP/IP port 515

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Dan" <gill_daniel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have windows XP with a printer attached to a UPC port. It is the
    default
    > printer for this PC. I have installed Print Services for Unix from
    Add/Rem
    > programs/ windows components. I then went on my unix box and set up a
    > printer to print to my PC's printer. I have done this before (a long time
    > ago). Isn't there something else I have to do on the PC side in Services?
    > did start the TCP/IP Print Server and rebooted. Is there something else?
    >
    > Dan

Configuration Unix Microsoft Printers Windows XP