Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with "overclocking" Memory

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 30, 2012 9:44:14 PM

My new build has 2 sticks of 4GB Corsair Memory clocked at 1600Mhz. When i went into the bios it says its only clocked to 1333Mhz. I tried to clock it to 1600Mhz but when i started it back up it says "failed to start up due to overclocking" and resets the memory back to 1333Mhz.

I am new to overclocking and would like to know how to solve this. Thanks!

Processor: AMD FX-4100

Mobo:Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

More about : overclocking memory

May 30, 2012 10:03:36 PM

I actually ran into this same issue on a friends system. His computer is identical to mine except for hard drives but when I try to change his BIOS setting for the correct Mem speed I get the same message. I have yet to figure out why his system gets this and mine does not.

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Flare
m
0
l
a c 150 } Memory
a c 105 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 10:28:02 PM

You should be able to set the speed, timings and voltage in BIOS.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 30, 2012 10:34:41 PM

I think that is what both emoney and I are having problems with. When we change the setting in BIOS to the correct setting of 1600 the computer states "failed to start up due to overclocking" The RAM installed in the motherboard is 1600 so it should accept the settings unless there is something more that is needed.

Flare
m
0
l
a c 150 } Memory
a c 105 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 10:48:08 PM

If speed, timings and voltage are set correctly in BIOS and the RAM is on the motherboard's QVL then you should RMA the memory.

A BIOS update can sometimes help with RAM compatibility.

QVL for that board here.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/memory_ga-9...
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 11:12:17 PM

Flareside said:
I actually ran into this same issue on a friends system. His computer is identical to mine except for hard drives but when I try to change his BIOS setting for the correct Mem speed I get the same message. I have yet to figure out why his system gets this and mine does not.

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Flare


I think i was able to get it to work.

Change the memory speed to 1600mhz

then

In the BIOS go to DDR3 Timing Items and change it from auto to manual.

It worked for me and was able to boot up with no issues and the bios reads it as 1600mhz :D 
m
0
l
a c 150 } Memory
a c 105 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 11:16:24 PM

Just make sure the timings and voltage matches what the RAM is rated at. Some boards may default the command rate to 1T so something like cas 9-9-9-24 1T. Running at 1T can be very hard for most systems and that should be set to 2T. So for instance cas 9-9-9-24 2T.

If you want to be sure your RAM is stable download and run memtest for 6 to 8 hours.

http://www.memtest.org/
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 11:17:50 PM

Update BIOS is a good idea. Are you sure the memory voltage is set to the correct value? Are you sure the timings are set correctly?

I suspect that your timings are the culprit. If your mobo chooses 1333Mhz for the default for that memory, it is probably choosing the JEDEC timings associated with it, which are most likely different than what you should use for 1600 Mhz. Set the voltage, clock speed, and the timings to the specification given by the manufacturer. If it still doesn't work, you can "relax" the timings a little bit until you can post. Of course, even if you do post with memory timings less than spec, you should RMA the memory anyway.

After checking the timings, you can also try each stick separately to see if its only one stick that fails.
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 11:28:22 PM

Pearlmam said:
Update BIOS is a good idea. Are you sure the memory voltage is set to the correct value? Are you sure the timings are set correctly?

I suspect that your timings are the culprit. If your mobo chooses 1333Mhz for the default for that memory, it is probably choosing the JEDEC timings associated with it, which are most likely different than what you should use for 1600 Mhz. Set the voltage, clock speed, and the timings to the specification given by the manufacturer. If it still doesn't work, you can "relax" the timings a little bit until you can post. Of course, even if you do post with memory timings less than spec, you should RMA the memory anyway.

After checking the timings, you can also try each stick separately to see if its only one stick that fails.


Will do!
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 11:38:29 PM

There should be no requirement to overclock to achieve 1600MHz. That is supported without overclocking.

As mentioned, a BIOS update might help.

It's possible that it is your choice of timings, not frequency which are the problem, but again the SPD should automatically choose the best frequency and timing for your RAM which is 1600MHz at (x-x-x-x).

Have you got the latest BIOS?
Is there an "XMP" profile?

Other:
- 1600MHz on your system won't be noticeable above 1333MHz anyway, and
- always test reliability with Memtest86+ v4.2 ( use www.ultimatebootcd.com )
m
0
l
a c 150 } Memory
a c 105 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 11:43:33 PM

photonboy said:
There should be no requirement to overclock to achieve 1600MHz. That is supported without overclocking.

As mentioned, a BIOS update might help.

It's possible that it is your choice of timings, not frequency which are the problem, but again the SPD should automatically choose the best frequency and timing for your RAM which is 1600MHz at (x-x-x-x).

Have you got the latest BIOS?
Is there an "XMP" profile?

Other:
- 1600MHz on your system won't be noticeable above 1333MHz anyway, and
- always test reliability with Memtest86+ v4.2 ( use www.ultimatebootcd.com )



XMP is Intel specific. He has an FX 4100.
m
0
l
May 30, 2012 11:47:07 PM

I might update my BIOS later on, its version is F5 and its already up to version F7. also a question on updating the BIOS do i have to go step by step?meaning do i have to first go to update F6 then F7? or go right to F7?
m
0
l
a c 150 } Memory
a c 105 K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 11:54:26 PM

You should be able to go straight to the latest version unless there is a note saying otherwise. AMD FX processors have some issues so it's a good idea to keep the BIOS as up to date as you can. Some people could not play Steam games on the FX 8xxx processors if I remember correctly. It took a BIOS update to fix it.
m
0
l
!