Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive Prices

Last response: in Storage
November 12, 2011 4:35:20 PM

I was just wondering why all of a sudden hard drive prices have increased by so much. Back in August I was able to put in a WD Caviar Black 750GB SATA 6 hard drive for only $50 now it costs over $100 for any drive over 500 GB. On a 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA 6 the price jumped for $90 to $220. It seems crazy that anyone would buy the drives for these prices. What happened to the market?

More about : hard drive prices

Best solution

a c 119 G Storage
November 12, 2011 5:14:10 PM

There was a huge flood in Thailand that is putting a kink in the supply and demand chain. They make a lot of either the parts or complete hdd's in that country. Just like the Snuname put a slow down on the Manufacturing processes in Japan.
Related resources
November 12, 2011 6:26:18 PM

That is a significant difference. My buddy decided he wanted to start building and I was shocked. I think, unfortunately for the manufacturers, that most people should hold off buying until prices return to normal.
m
l
November 12, 2011 6:30:38 PM

I was considering a 3rd build my own computer and now I won't even consider it until next year. Maybe the FX processors will actually be somewhat good by then. Thanks for the info Izone.
m
l
November 13, 2011 2:40:46 AM

Best answer selected by andrewcarr.
m
l
!