Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking I7-3820 on x79 Sabertooth

Last response: in Overclocking
May 31, 2012 12:36:04 AM

Here are my specs.

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP16GX3M4X1600C7

Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

How/what do I do to overclock?

August 16, 2012 12:50:28 AM

i have set bus speed to 120mhz and did not touch anything else got nice 4440 :D 
very easy, plus mem set to 1920mhz on samsung 30nm 16gb kit
m
l
a c 130 å Intel
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 16, 2012 5:24:09 PM

It is recomended that you read the overclocking guides that are in this forum at the top of the page.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259903-29-overclockin...

Simply overclocking by the BCLK ( front side bus) is not recomended and will not give a good overclock. You have a good cpu in the 3820 and if done right the overclock will last you for a good long time and the life of you cpu will not be affected.
With a partialy unlocked multiplier you can change the multiplier up to a preset limit and from there you have options to go further but you will have to see what the multiplier changes will bring you since every cpu will overclock differently and because someone can get a certian speed doesn't mean that every 3820 cpu will get the same. When the cpu die is cut from the silicon that makes up the guts of the cpu there are subtle differences even within the same silicon wafer that will make every cpu made from that silicon wafer different. They will all have the same number of internal components that make them a 3820 cpu but there are differences. That's why an overclock for each person will be different but the way to do it is the same.
Since your asking how to overclock that tells me you need to do a lot of reading up on what overclocking is and how to do it. A good first step is to read the stickeys and see what it says and then if your familiar with the bios and how the bios works then you can go into the bios and check out what the settings are that you'll be changing. If you have your motherboards owners manual then that will help you also with a brief explanation of the different settings.
You can do a one step change just to get your feet wet and that is to find the cpu multiplier and change it to the next highest number then save and exit and see what you have for a cpu speed. It won't be much but it will be a start.
m
l
Related resources
May 28, 2013 3:55:05 PM

artemiskhros said:
Here are my specs.

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP16GX3M4X1600C7

Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

How/what do I do to overclock?

inzone said:
It is recomended that you read the overclocking guides that are in this forum at the top of the page.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259903-29-overclockin...

Simply overclocking by the BCLK ( front side bus) is not recomended and will not give a good overclock. You have a good cpu in the 3820 and if done right the overclock will last you for a good long time and the life of you cpu will not be affected.
With a partialy unlocked multiplier you can change the multiplier up to a preset limit and from there you have options to go further but you will have to see what the multiplier changes will bring you since every cpu will overclock differently and because someone can get a certian speed doesn't mean that every 3820 cpu will get the same. When the cpu die is cut from the silicon that makes up the guts of the cpu there are subtle differences even within the same silicon wafer that will make every cpu made from that silicon wafer different. They will all have the same number of internal components that make them a 3820 cpu but there are differences. That's why an overclock for each person will be different but the way to do it is the same.
Since your asking how to overclock that tells me you need to do a lot of reading up on what overclocking is and how to do it. A good first step is to read the stickeys and see what it says and then if your familiar with the bios and how the bios works then you can go into the bios and check out what the settings are that you'll be changing. If you have your motherboards owners manual then that will help you also with a brief explanation of the different settings.
You can do a one step change just to get your feet wet and that is to find the cpu multiplier and change it to the next highest number then save and exit and see what you have for a cpu speed. It won't be much but it will be a start.

hey so how is your overclock how much did you menage?

m
l
a c 81 K Overclocking
May 28, 2013 6:29:55 PM

The X79 chipset is much better at BCLK overclocking than Z77.
m
l
May 31, 2013 11:25:40 AM

got it of ebay for 180 pounds :p  could not go wrong with it as performance difference between Core i7-3930K is not big, but price is almost double!
m
l
!