Sign in with
Your question

Swiftech GTX 6XX Mounting Kits?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 12:45:34 AM

Has anybody heard anything about mounting kits for the Swiftech universal blocks? I'm looking to drop the money on a GTX 670 and haven't found anything about the mounting kits (which one could argue are somewhat essential to watercooling a GPU).

I could technically run it on air for the time being, and just have a block hanging out in my case, but I'd rather not.
a c 327 K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 2:30:26 AM

Good question. Usually you can find it listed here: http://www.swiftech.com/mountinghardware.aspx

I posted a question to their Q/A, so we'll see what we get back.

Quote:
Is there a compatible mounting kit out for the nVidia 6xx (GTX 670 or 680, mainly) series GPUs for MCW60/80/82? Will one of the current 4xx/5xx mounts work, or will there be a new mount kit for these blocks?

Quote:
Hello,
The MCW82 is compatible out of the box.

Regards,
Michelle

Swiftech
151 West Victoria St.
Long Beach, CA 90805
Phone 310-7630336
Fax 310-7637095
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 6:07:08 AM

The full cover 670 blocks are going to be so cute looking! :love: 
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 11:51:12 AM

@Rubix - Yeah I checked their forums and the latest post concerning them was the 9th, so I posted on a few of their threads. Apparently the mounts were "in production", and I saw that somebody managed to get the old G80 mounts to fit just barely (the G80 spacing is 58.4mm; GK104 is 58mm).

I'm probably going to go unisink as well, since it's easier than dealing with those small heatsinks when you want to clean off the card and sell it ;) 

@amuffin - I can only imagine how small those FC blocks are going to be. NVIDIA really shocked everybody when they fit a better GPU on a PCB half the size.

Really looking forward to this GTX 670. It actually attracted my GF's attention when I posted on Facebook - she has...'different opinions' when it comes to my spending habits ;) 
a c 327 K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 1:32:38 PM

Quote:
I'm probably going to go unisink as well, since it's easier than dealing with those small heatsinks when you want to clean off the card and sell it

Swiftech is really on to something with their uni blocks and those full-cover heatsinks...a great idea in my mind. They also negate any need for a backplate to keep a card from warping. A nice addition for only $30 a card, when you're going to spend at least $15 or so on RAMsinks.
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2012 8:56:09 PM

So Stephen from swiftech informed me that the G80 brackets are what we'll need for the GTX 670 (and 680, I'm assuming). What I'm concerned about is that the match up is only *so* close (sometimes that 0.4mm difference is make-or-break)
a c 327 K Overclocking
June 2, 2012 2:21:01 PM

Interesting...? Also interesting that 670 and 680 would use the same retention mount size...they've strayed from that since the days of the GT200.
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2012 4:51:15 PM

I guess I'm off to order the G80 mounts - I don't have my original box handy and it has the mount in it (only 3000 miles away ;) ).

Forgot to add that I obviously will be reporting back with findings.
a c 327 K Overclocking
June 2, 2012 8:45:58 PM

I might have my old G80 mounts laying around somewhere.
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2012 9:36:06 PM

If you have them I'd be willing to buy them off you. Swiftech has them for $6 + S&H (and they always overcharge you - it doesn't cost $15 to send a MCW82 but apparently it does for them).
a c 327 K Overclocking
June 3, 2012 3:03:12 AM

Let me see what I can find. I'll PM you.
a c 327 K Overclocking
June 4, 2012 10:44:23 PM

Added Swiftech response in my first reply. (appears to be the same thing they've told you)

Haven't looked yet for mine.
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2012 1:27:19 AM

Yeah, that was the initial response I got from Stephen over on the forums; I had him elaborate that the G80 mount was the one to use.
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2012 3:32:00 PM

Did some digging and found out that the G80 and GT400 Rev. 2 mounting plates are basically the same thing. Both are 58.4x58.4mm, and hold down slightly differently.

So you're good if you buy either, AFAICT
a c 327 K Overclocking
June 7, 2012 4:32:00 PM

boiler1990 said:
Did some digging and found out that the G80 and GT400 Rev. 2 mounting plates are basically the same thing. Both are 58.4x58.4mm, and hold down slightly differently.

So you're good if you buy either, AFAICT

Now that you say that, I think I recall something similar to this when GT400 came out (using the G80 mounts instead of the GT200 mounts).

a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2012 12:41:36 AM

Alright, so I got my GT400 Rev. 2 bracket and my heatsinks today (from two different places to boot!) and got everything mounted.

I was hoping to simply just change the bracket on the MCW82, but I forgot that the screws in it held the block together. Sure enough, I ended up with a puddle on the floor (got most of it into a bucket though).

Here's the awesome looking stock EVGA GTX 670:

As you can see, the PCB is a baby (about the same length as my sound card!):

Without the cooler:

Mounted the Enzotech copper heatsinks from FrozenCPU. Very easy since they use a thermal tape that's already attached. [bRemember, there are 4 VRAM chips on the back[/b]

Here's the block attached to the card. If you use the GT400 Rev. 2 bracket, do NOT use the black spacers that come with it. The block will not mount properly.

I need to get more water before I can get temp results, but the card has at least been reinstalled in the system!
a c 327 K Overclocking
June 12, 2012 12:50:16 AM

You aren't kidding...that thing is tiny. However, it looks pretty awesome like that if I do say so myself. Would look FANTASTIC in SLI in a SFF/HTPC case.

And to add- I never did find my old mounts. They are probably hidden/lost forever somewhere either in my office or in my attic. I couldn't find them for the life of me.
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2012 1:54:19 AM

Yeah it is basically the same size as my HT Omega Striker. The smaller PCBs allow for better airflow as well, which is great for smaller cases.

That's alright - I got the mounts pretty cheap on eBay since the shipping was more reasonable. The only reason I know I have mine is because I have the box.

a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2012 4:51:55 PM

So I finally got the loop refilled this weekend, and everything is running well. Ran the new Furmark 15min Burn-in Benchmark @ 1920x1080, and here are the results.

Idle (room) temp was 24-25C; load was about 31-33C, and max was 35C by the end of the test (PC is under a table). I think I'll see around 32C gaming, which is pretty good for the GPU since the 560Ti ran at about 34C while gaming for long sessions.

a c 327 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 12:24:28 AM

I like the results.

Sooooo...when do we get to see all the pics? :) 
a b K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 12:31:17 AM

I guess I need to ask what you want pics of.

Also going to mess with some OCs this week.
a c 327 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 12:43:10 AM

Personally, I'd like to see the entire loop with the new hardware installed...just to see how it looks in comparison with the rest of the components. Also curious to see your benchmark results of this compared to my 560Ti's...I've been meaning to mess with my BLCK a little to see what I can get out of a normal 2600 and see what else these 560's can do.
a b K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 12:53:47 AM

Haven't hit any issues in games yet, other than some screen tearing. Trying to figure out which VSync setting will help fix it.

In other news, I set my 2600K to 4.5 GHz (stock volts) and it's running without a hitch so far. No issues with a maximum Intel Burn, though I'm probably not going to run Prime95 since I don't care *that* much and it'd be a lot of electricity and heat in a new house with a so-so AC unit :/ 
a c 327 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 2:01:45 PM

IMO, IBT > Prime95, anyway, so not much to gain by benching both tests.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 5:22:39 PM

Got my fan controller and fans this week (Scythe Master Kaze + Ultra Kaze 3000s) and have gone about reformatting my PC since I got a new Crucial M4 128GB.

I need to get the right size screws - right now I have the screws only partially in and there's a lot of vibrating since the Kaze's are really strong. I'll get them tomorrow, and hopefully will be able to run some benchmarks to compare with the older results.
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 1:30:08 AM

Alright, go the fans mounted properly with double rubber washers, and things are *ok*. The middle fan is making a rattling noise and I don't know what is causing it; the other two fans are pretty quiet though. No cables stuck as far as I can tell, and the screws are pretty tight...

a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 1:46:52 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what's with the fan. It sounds like it's hitting something, yet there are no wires or anything in the fan blades. The system seems to be running pretty well with just two on the bottom @ half speed. They're really quiet when toned down below 2500RPM.
a c 327 K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 1:49:39 AM

Odd...a bad bearing? Mine are really quiet, especially under 2000rpm and even at full speed, they aren't unbearable.
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 1:52:37 AM

Not sure yet. I'm going to pull it out and run it while not attached to the rad. I wonder if it is part of the rad hitting the blade, but I can't be sure without testing.
a c 327 K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 1:54:26 AM

That fan controller looks awfully familiar...
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 2:26:29 AM

Haha didn't even realize you run the same one ;) 
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2012 12:22:53 PM

"Turns out" (;)) that the bearing is bad. Going to try and contact Scythe about it and see what they can do.

In the meantime, two fans on the end of my rad actually do a pretty good job of maintaining temps in Furmark
a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2012 12:47:08 AM

So Scythe won't do anything without a proof of purchase (which I don't have since I bought the fans used)....so anyone know how to take apart a fan? I think it's just an issue with the bearing but I have no idea. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow evening so I won't have time for a while to mess with the fan at all.

Two fans at least run under 30C @ 1500RPM :D  Pretty impressive I must say.
!