Sign in with
Your question

Help with ram timings

Last response: in Memory
June 23, 2010 2:53:39 AM

Here is my ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

I have a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 mobo and I5 750 2.66 ghz with a 750 watt psu.

I am have trouble with the famous atikmdag crashes and my video card manufacturer (XFX) told me to configure my ram timings and voltage properly.

I'm not really sure what to set it as but I know how to access the settings in the BIOS. What should I set it to?

More about : ram timings

a b } Memory
June 23, 2010 5:32:51 PM

You have to go into bios, and if you need to know how to enter bios.. try pressing the del key every 3/4th's a second when first turning on the PC to enter bios. Del key might not be the right one.. Could be an F key, like F4 or F1 or F2 or something. The screen should tell you in the beginning.. Sorry can't be specific there.

Once in bios, it'll be under memory configuration, or memory timings.

The ram timings should be set to 9-9-9-24-2N

That's
CAS (CL) 9
RAS to CAS (tRCD) 9
RAS (tRP) 9
Cycle time(tRAS) 24
Command Rate (CR) 2N

If those are still unstable, then try 1N instead of 2N.

Also, the default speed of the ram is probably 1066, you can up that to 1600 if you see that option in bios.

Maybe someone more familiar with that bios can help you better than me, if they see this.
Related resources
June 23, 2010 9:44:21 PM

I contacted XFX to try and solve mt Atikmdag issue and they suggested I try setting my ram properly. They did not tell me what to set it to and I thought that might help.

Currently it is, I believe, set to 1.5v if what I'm lookin' at in the BIOS is the correct location where it lists the voltage setting. I will double check the timings.

I'd like double confirmation before I do anything since I don't know anything about timings and what they do.
June 23, 2010 10:46:41 PM

I did some reading about this error and it seems like you might have a hardware problem on your hands. I had the nVidia equivalent on my laptop, the nvlddmkm.sys error, and it very well could be a failure of the Graphics unit caused by long term overheating.

Do you have any extra compatible video cards lying around? I would swap cards and see if you get the same problems.
June 23, 2010 10:57:05 PM

It only occurs once I install drivers. My system is A.O.K. with no drivers.

I will try ram timings and have sent a request to return the card.

Also, can anyone tell me what ram timings change and how doing what blckhaze suggested will help me?

Last thing, how do I change my ram to 1600?
June 23, 2010 11:23:42 PM

Oh IT IS Atikmdag error. I've been working on solving this for a week now and I'm getting paranoid because I'm not sure how long I have on the hardware exchange so I can test each part.

I hate this thing so much I.
June 23, 2010 11:29:43 PM

About the link. I downloaded this driver:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/10-4/Page...

The Option 2 : Individual Downloads
Display Driver - 72.3 MB 10.4 4/28/2010
Description:
Package includes:
Display Driver Only

I'm not sure if this is what the guy meant by installing just the driver but that is the only one I could find.

My system still crashed using his method.

Note: My system does NOT crash with no drivers installed. But almost instantly once they are, or within the hour.

Is this safe to conclude the issue is NOT hardware related?
June 23, 2010 11:45:04 PM

Okay, when you first got your computer, you're computer did not crash right?

If so, then if you reformat your computer (return it to factory settings) and you still receive the error, then it is a hardware problem.

If the error no longer persists after a reformat (also provided you don't install the new drivers, because the old ones were not giving you problem), then it is safe to say it's a software issue.

From my personal experience, I think it's a hardware issue. I could log on safemode with the invidia error and it would be okay (no drivers for graphics running). HOWEVER, I did do a reformat and still had problems with my computer that I did not originally.

If you are out of option's I'd try the reformatting method, but be aware that you lose everything that you have saved if you don't back it up on an external.
June 24, 2010 12:41:47 AM

When I first built my pc everything worked. I ran a test last night and left my system on, with no drivers or ccc, for the entire night and all of today. A combined total of over 12 hours. When I got home today t 5:30 the system was still running well.

I decided to try installing the drivers again, and it crashed within 1 minute on the windows clock, then 20 minutes later after rebooting.

I uninnstalled them and the system is stable. However, I cannot play any games without the drivers. Also, I have no previous drivers. I installed 10.4 right after loading windows 7.
June 24, 2010 12:53:04 AM

So when the comp crashes, you are using the same driver which worked when you built the computer? If there was no change in software but a problem occurs, it's hardware.

As far as the drivers causing the crashes are concerned... if you have a sprained wrist, but you don't use it, everything will be okay. However, once you move it, you feel pain etc. Same idea with the hardware. If you don't use what's causing the problem, then nothing will show.

Reason I keep asserting the hardware problem is because I've had similar troubles and have troubleshot quite a lot, calling up/online chatting with HP service people. They all thought it was hardware (as did I).

I would check how much time you have on that video card's exchange. If it's not too much trouble, I'd exchange it and see if another one causes the same error.
June 24, 2010 2:15:41 PM

Okay good point.

I'll start with the card.
!