Sign in with
Your question

Would appreciate advice on my 2500k overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
May 31, 2012 8:13:33 AM

Hey guys,

New to overclocking (as of this week) but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Here are my current settings I'm using:

I tested them so far in 2 hours of Linx and 5 passes of Intel Burn Test, and no crashes. (NOTE: I changed my LLC from Extreme to High after the stability test, so I haven't checked to see if it is stable on high, but it seemed to be on extreme). I hear Prime 95 is better for long term stability, checks, so I'm gonna let Prime 95 run for about 8 or 10 hours.

Can you guys please give me some advice on my current settings? Is 1.35 vcore too high for a 4.5 overclock? What should I do with my Load Line Calibration, Internal PLL Overvoltage, CPU Current Capability, or any other settings that you feel that I did wrong/ could be better? The ones I listed are the ones I am personally debating on changing

I greatly appreciate the help guys!

More about : advice 2500k overclock

May 31, 2012 8:27:46 AM

Also, I just noticed my temp in the BIOS phase was 56C. I think that is wrong or inaccurate. I have had core temp on for several hours now (I have done a mix of youtube and gaming) and throughout all of my 4 cores, I saw temps from 36-60C. I never hit above 60C when gaming, but the temps were 56C in the bios phase? I think it was just misreading the temp, or else something really is wrong.
May 31, 2012 7:47:52 PM

So this overclock (with LLC on extreme) survived a little over 6 hours of Prime 95.

I can assume that it's stable now, but I just want to make sure the current voltages it's getting are healthy (and not too much).
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 8:16:04 PM

That's pretty much what 8,565,127 other people are running. Will it last, well that's to be determined.

Why do you need to overclock it?
May 31, 2012 9:04:36 PM

apav said:
Also, I just noticed my temp in the BIOS phase was 56C. I think that is wrong or inaccurate. I have had core temp on for several hours now (I have done a mix of youtube and gaming) and throughout all of my 4 cores, I saw temps from 36-60C. I never hit above 60C when gaming, but the temps were 56C in the bios phase? I think it was just misreading the temp, or else something really is wrong.

I don't own a 2500k but it is common to have higher temps in BIOS than idle in the OS due to power saving features. BIOS doesn't run at 100% CPU but it does run at the speced voltage and clock speed. 56 degrees does seem a little high though. I wouldn't disregard it, however. You can try touching the CPU heat sink to feel the temp. This is usually difficult with the CPU but at 56 degrees, you may be able to feel the heat. I think Ive read some comical but accurate "feeling" heat charts to determine the temp using your hand. I think you should be able to hold your hand for a 5 seconds or so before it starts burning at 56 degrees.
June 2, 2012 1:48:16 AM

geekapproved said:
That's pretty much what 8,565,127 other people are running. Will it last, well that's to be determined.

Why do you need to overclock it?

Better Crossfire scaling. At 3.3 ghz I was getting 50-80 fps in BF3 with max settings at 1080p. Now I never drop below 70 and I'm on average around 75-80 at 4.5ghz, 90 indoors.

Same for Witcher 2. 40-65 fps at 3.3 ghz with max settings. Now I only hit 60 on the most intensive parts. I'm usually 80-90 fps now.

Huge fps increase when I overclock. I just want to make sure with my current voltage and settings that I won't be killing my cpu in the next 3-4 years (if constantly at 4.5). Just was wondering if most people can do better than what I'm getting.
!