GTS 250 fan quit

G

So out of nowhere the fan for my gts 250 stopped working. Its on stock settings and I have not been inside the case since I bought it. My temps are now 55-65 idle and 100 when playing games. What should I do to fix this?

First check it has not been jammed by something. Sometimes a sticker will drop off or curl up and jam the fan.
If the fan is not simply stuck and it is within the warranty period, return it for repair/replacement.

Exactly which GTS250 do you have? Get onto the Newegg site and see if they have one there, then link to it so we can see.
As a temporary fix, get a case fan of suitable size and attach it using zip (or cable) ties but do not keep running the card without cooling, you will damage it and that may void the warranty.
There are plenty of good aftermarket coolers around, but they are not all available worldwide...So, where do you live?

impaledmango

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
You should either RMA it, or if you dont mind buy an after market cooler so you dont have to wait. I wouldnt play games while the fan is gone. 100c for the gts 250 is way too high.

G

There wasn't anything stuck in it. Its kinda new so I find it strange that it would just stop working like that.

I couldn't find it on newegg, but the full name is "MSI GeForce GTS 250 512MB PhysX CUDA".

Will it be okay running it without cooling as long as I turn it off when the temps get too high?

I live in Norway.

G

Whats RMA?

I'm not THAT stupid.

RMA - Return Merchandise Authorization

This is when you contact either the seller of the item or the original manufacturer to initiate a return. They issue you an RMA number and a place to ship it to. No take a return by mail any longer without an RMA first.

IT sounds like the fan just quite, you will want to get it fixed. I believe MSI has a 2 or 3 year warranty.

^ Like the man says, return it under warranty if it's broken.
Warranty claims are handled differently in different countries, but here in the UK it is the SELLER who is responsible, so I would first contact the company you bought the card from.
Like I said earlier: If you keep running it without the fan the card will be damaged and that may very well invalidate the warranty.

impaledmango

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
if you dont want to wait for the rma (can take a couple of weeks) then you can probably buy anaftermarket cooler.... if you can find an appropriate one for the card that is.