Sign in with
Your question

Building New System

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2009 11:59:03 PM

I haven't built a system in several years because time became more important. I've decided to do it again and I'm not up on all the latest and greatest. I have chosen a few things and received some already, but I need some advice on a few things. So far I have ordered the new Thermaltake Level 10 case, haven't received yet. I have ordered and recieved 6 80GB Generation 2 Intel 2.5 inch SSD drives which will be in a raid 0 configuration. I also have ordered and received 1 Fusion ioextreme Pro card and 1 regular Fusion ioextreme card that will be in raid configuration. I plan to install Windows 7 64bit on the Intel SSD raid drive for booting since the ioextreme cards don't currently support booting. All my programs and data will be stored on the ioxtreme setup. I don't do gaming. So, I don't need graphics for that, but I need enough grapics to support 2 - 30 inch LCDs. My main use is software development. I guess what I need advice on are the motherboard & chipset combination, cpu, graphic card(s), and powersupply. I need a motherboard that will handle 6 sata drives in a raid 0 configuration as well as the 2 ioxtreme cards as well as however many graphic cards I will need. There are so many options that I am a bit overwhelmed. I also need advice on which graphic card to get. Do I need 2? I don't know. As I said I don't do gaming, but I know I need enough power to push the 2 - 30 inch LCDs. Also, the power supply. I don't really know how much power I need from that. The SSDs are require relatively low power compared to conventional hard drives, but I don't really know what I will need. I want the best cpu I can get as well. I just don't know which way to go with all this and I want to make sure I am making the correct decisions before purchasing those components. Any information you can provide is appreciated. If you think I am forgetting something please feel free to let me know.

More about : building system

December 9, 2009 12:01:07 AM

Also, I forgot to mention memory. I want the fastest I can get for the system. I'm not really worried about cost on any of this. I just want the best/fastest I can get.
m
l
December 9, 2009 2:48:12 AM

well, if you're not worried about the price you could just get a ATI 5970, maybe 2 as you're not worried about the price. For the CPU an intel i7 975.
But really I don't think you are going to need 2 5970 nor the i7 975, you could just get a i7 920 and oc it, and one 5970, if you would want to lower you budget a 5870 would still be enough.
For the motherboard a ASUS Rampage II Extreme would be fine I think (not sure about the motherboard)
For the PSU a Corsair 1000w would be really good ^^
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2009 4:58:40 AM

dmcfc said:
well, if you're not worried about the price you could just get a ATI 5970, maybe 2 as you're not worried about the price. For the CPU an intel i7 975.
But really I don't think you are going to need 2 5970 nor the i7 975, you could just get a i7 920 and oc it, and one 5970, if you would want to lower you budget a 5870 would still be enough.
For the motherboard a ASUS Rampage II Extreme would be fine I think (not sure about the motherboard)
For the PSU a Corsair 1000w would be really good ^^

Thanks for the response.

The motherboard looks great. Even does Raid 5 instead of just 0. I just hope all my cards will fit. I'll have the 5970 and both my ioxtreme cards. It doesn't look like it will be a problem, but I can't tell how big that 5970 is.

I previously found the Intel i7 975, but I thought I also found an Intel Xeon equivalent that might be faster/better for what I'm doing. If not then that's the one I want. Don't know if I made my needs clear, but I'm a software developer and I run multiple VMs for development and testing. I want all the performance I can get, but I don't know much about overclocking. So, I don't mind paying the premium for the faster cpu.

I searched benchmarks and reviews for the ATI 5970 you suggested and it's the best. I have 2 Dell 3008wfp LCDs and I'm sure it will run both of these fine because it appears to be a better card than what I have in my current Dell workstation. I don't know which manufacturer to chose though. Doesn't ATI just make one? I checked newegg and all I see are different makers of that card. Which would you pick? Asus to match the motherboard?

You mentioned the Corsair 1000w for the PSU. Everything I have read says not to skimp on quality in this area. I have heard of Corsair memory before and hear it is really good. So, I'm assuming that the psu is good as well. The case that I picked is from Thermaltake and they offer a 1250w, but it cost almost twice that of a 1000w Corsair. I don't mind paying the extra if it's what I need. However, if the Corsair is fine I don't wanna throw money away for no reason. Which route would you go?

Speaking of memory what do you think of the this: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit - found on new egg? I will need 2 of these kits for 12GB unless you think there is something better that Corsair?

Thanks for all your time.

m
l
December 9, 2009 9:15:48 AM

Consider Dual Xeon system with Super Micro or ASUS server motherboard. If your system will be on 24/7, then you can go for ECC memory.

Corsair usually markets good power supply. Jonnyguru does great power supply reviews (the best I have seen so far), do some more reading on this you before you make a purchase. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

One Radeon HD 5970 is more than sufficient for your needs, it might even be a over kill. XFX provide Lifetime Manufacture Warranty(with some XFX cards you get double lifetime, one for this life and other for Heaven!) , Asus and Gigabyte provide the card with 3 years warranty. Others 1-2 years.

..................................................................................................
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/
m
l
December 9, 2009 12:41:25 PM

Given that money is a non-issue, I'm sure that is at least in part because you are not in the habit of being wasteful. I will further assume (with the risk to me that entails) that this machine, used for software development, is intended to earn money. So, my recommendations are:
1. You won't be gaming, so you have absolutely no need for a high-end video card. Arguably even a single HD5750 is overkill, but does have the latest tech, including the ability to run three monitors if you ever want to do that. Setting my personal anti-nVidia bias aside, if your development work will include PhysX and/or CUDA, then you need to use one or more nVidia cards; one dedicated to Physx/CUDA, and one for rendering. Your needs would be met by a pair of 9600GT or 9800GT cards.
1a. This will change if you will be doing a lot of CAD work in addition to your development, in which case you'll need a FireGL or other workstation graphics card. I do not have a lot of experience with these; professional-level cards, they can be extremely expensive.
2. You won't need a monster PSU for this build, but you want a good one. From all of the reviews I've read, though some others are getting closer, the best consumer PSU you can buy is still an Antec Signature. The SG-650 offers enough power for you. This one and its bigger brother, the SG-850, have lots of [modular] power cables, and could handle all those drives you plan to buy.
3. Take some of the money you don't need to spend on $300-$500 graphics cards and get a good 1000VA-1500VA UPS.
4. As a business machine, you will probably not overclock it, or apply only the mildest, least potentially destabilizing boost. If you have the budget for it, buy the most competent CPU you can; nothing less than an i7-920, on up to the 975 Extreme.
5. Mobo RAID-5 takes a performance hit compared to using a dedicated controller. Consider using only a pair of those SSDs in RAID-0 for your boot/OS drive.
6. Include plans for a backup solution in your costs. Something like a 1TB external drive may be sufficient, or get one of those SATA docking stations in to which you can plug in whatever drive you want to use.
m
l
December 9, 2009 12:49:56 PM

Rereading, I see I misread about the RAIDs you'll be using. RAID-0 on mobo, RAID-5 on controllers... So, #5 is mostly irrelevant.
m
l
December 9, 2009 2:47:47 PM

Um I'm 99% sure there aren't any raid controllers out there for those Intel G2's, so I'm not sure how well 6 on those will work with a mobo controller.

Also I know for a fact TRIM is NOT supported in raid arrays.

Also, do you really need to Raid 6 SSD's? I definitely wouldn't recommend putting them in Raid 0 at least.

Also if you do still decide to go with the 5970, that monster is 13" long. Make sure you get a Full Tower, and a big one at that.

Ones I know fit it are HAF 932, Storm Sniper, Antec 1200, Thermaltake armor.

Mid tower wise the only that might fit it is the HAF 922 (It's as big as some full towers, dunno y its called a mid tower honestly...)
m
l
December 9, 2009 3:06:10 PM

wait 5 months to needlessly waste cash and get the intel i9
m
l
!