Hey guys i need some help

nojoy1

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I just recieved my ati radeon 5770, i went to pop it in and did everything just fine like i did with older cards im not new to it. When i go to boot up its like my monitor gets no signal. I tried switching my monitor to the other connections the card has in the back and nothing. its like no signal, my computer boots up just my lcd tv isnt getting a signal. So i re installed my old one, that im on right now and it works. Anyone have any ideas?

Im using a wire that allows my pc to connect thru adaptors. For example the end that connects to my lcd tv is vga and the new card i need to use the adaptor as well. SO i after i did that and checked it over and over nothing.

I forgot to post my specs

I have:
AMD - fx62 cpu
500 watt antec power supply
running on a 8800gts from xfx
the card that wont sent signal is my new xfx radeon 5770

http://qik.com/video/3857261 <--posted this vid off my cell phone to show you exactly what happens.

nojoy1

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
ok i think i figured it out, on this other forum im not sure if im allowed to post link here of it. Claims to update the bios it apears my mobo doesnt support my vid card with the bios version im using.

Can anyone walk me through the steps of doing it thanks =)

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
You can post a link.

You need to figure out your mobo model & manufacturer (use cpuz if you don't know---downloads are on the left), then go to their site to find your appropriate model and bios. There should be instructions for flashing on the site.

Before you try the bios flash, I recommend you try uninstalling your current card (drivers and in device manager) then try your new card. I've seen issues where the drivers from the nvidia card conflict with the current ati card (note; if you are not seeing anything at all---i.e. a POST screen---this is not your problem, as this will only become apparent as your system begins to load the OS).

yes i flashed my bios for the first time about 4 months ago. Bit hairy not having done it before but it went well. As said the manufacturers site should have a list of available Bios updates and links to updater apps if needed or instructions if not. Not much needed from you as far as my own flash was concerned. Open app tell it where the new bios was push go and cross fingers.

Mactronix

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

You have got to be kidding me, 4000+ posts, and you have done one BIOS update? No crossed fingers here, I've done several thousand without a problem...Of course that's actually working in the computer tech field for the last 25 years... Yeah, my 682 posts come at the expense of not being able to sit and tell tales all day long on Tomshardware... You need to expand your newspaper route...

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

Get it straight, YOU NEVER HAVE TO REMOVE YOUR OLD DRIVERS, just update to the latest for the card you have and get with the program...

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

When switching between brands you do (unless you enjoy using vga mode). Most of the time you get either a blue screen or you get a black screen when the OS tries to load the drivers.

nojoy1

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
O i removed the drivers completely then shut down. Removed my 8800gts and popped in the new card, power and everything. When my computer turns on my lcd is just blue, not blue screen, but like when you turn on a lcd tv and no signal is going through, thats what happens. I took out the 5770 and popped in my 8800gts hoping i didnt mess anything up and here i am back on my old card.

Never needed to before. I work very firmly on the "if it aint broke dont fix it" principle.
Some friends were having a bit of a competition seeing how far they could get a 4 series CPU E4300 etc to go on air. Thought i would join in as i have a system with a 4600 in the spare room but needed to update the bios for overclocking support.

Mactronix

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Though it wouldn't hurt to try it, I don't think your problem is the BIOS version; I think you either have a dead graphics card, or there's a problem with you combo of adapters.
See if you can try your card with a different monitor (not a tv) or if you have access to another computer, try it with that.

nojoy1

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
alright guys i downloaded the 1106 version of the bios for my m2r32-mvp motherboard. Did the flash using the utilities on windows, i rebooted and it went well. i installed the ati radeon 5770 and guess what sigh...... IT WORKED. woohoo. you guys rock btw thanks for the assistance. If i have any problems ill hit you guys up.