AMD Radeon 7850 OC

Heinzman57

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I am using the 7850 OC edition and want to OC it even more. Using the CCC if i increase the clocks a bit more or even to max is it necessary to increase the voltage that my card uses? And if so by how much? My comp doesnt have much PSU headroom so im wondering if i should just leave it alone at the default speeds.

Thanks,

motorneuron

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
OCing a video card is a bit like OCing your processor--just keep inching the clockspeeds up until you see artifacts, and then try either increasing voltage slightly or decreasing the clock. Here's a guide for the 7870, but it's very similar on a 7850:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7870-overclock-guide/1

The second page is the most helpful.

As for power use, it's unlikely that the OC will have too much effect on overall power consumption, even with some voltage tweaking--the guide I linked above found a 20W increase from a voltage bump and a 200MHz bump on the core clock. Even if you don't have much headroom, something on order of 20W is probably not a dealbreaker.

Heinzman57

Honorable
May 3, 2012
What does changing the voltage usuage actually do to the card and my system. Will it simply allow my card to use more voltage if needed or does it automatically always set it to use 20% more power at all times?

I dont want to fry my card.

motorneuron

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
You won't "fry" your card, just like slightly increasing the voltage on your processor won't "fry" that either--in the sense that it won't cause a big puff of smoke and immediate catastrophic damage. Over the LONG run, more voltage means more power and more heat, and so it's worse (all things being equal) to have higher voltage. But if you want to be more conservative, change only the clock speed and not the voltage. Higher voltages tend to allow greater stability, though, so it means you'll have a lower OC.

Also, adjusting the voltage will slightly increase power consumption by itself, but much of that 20W figure comes from higher clock speeds, too. Since the card will have a variable clock speed, you won't always be using 20W more, but you will be using slightly more than you'd otherwise be using with no voltage adjustment. It's like having another cylinder in a car's engine--it burns more fuel at all times, but if you're only at 1500 rpm, it's not that much more. I'm not 100% sure how the voltage on the 7000 series works and how it changes with clock speed, but it tends to be less variable than the voltage of, e.g., a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Sorry, forgot my bottom line point: if the voltage increase is small, the only difference between an OC card and a non-OC card is the heat. The 7000 series runs very cool. Even at a huge OC, you won't break 80C. So you won't fry your card.

andY biersack

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I recommend just increasing it to 1150 core clock and 1300 memory and i barely increased the voltage by 10 in asus tweak. Im sure that's not gonna fry your psu and turn up your fan speed to i have mine at 70 and i get 65c