Sign in with
Your question

Can i trick shadow files into being recovered?

Last response: in Windows XP
June 20, 2012 5:34:31 AM

Hello,
locked myself out of pc by finally adding admin. password & immediately forgetting it. a week later sis reformatted so i could open it. All files gone, found em in Advanced Backup. They were described as 'shadow files'. couldn't retrieve cuz they don't exist in the 'new' pc. Can i make a backup file of these (labeled A:Backup.bkf) label it something else, and then because it was invented in the 'new' pc, i could retrieve them? or not...
June 20, 2012 7:22:11 AM

bweaver said:
Hello,
locked myself out of pc by finally adding admin. password & immediately forgetting it. a week later sis reformatted so i could open it. All files gone, found em in Advanced Backup. They were described as 'shadow files'. couldn't retrieve cuz they don't exist in the 'new' pc. Can i make a backup file of these (labeled A:Backup.bkf) label it something else, and then because it was invented in the 'new' pc, i could retrieve them? or not...

Look for some data recovery APPs on the web. Even though format was done, you MAY be able to recover the files. PS: Doubtful you would want to use A: as you will be inserting floppies for a month !
m
l
June 20, 2012 2:50:43 PM

BKF files are files created by the MS Backup tool. Just run that and restore the files.

You don't need to format a drive to re-install Windows, just run the setup clean over the old directory without a format, all of your files will be there.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2012 11:50:36 PM

please forgive my not understanding! i tried using the backup tool to restore files, but restore says they don't exist. Unless you meant 'sure you can backup shadow files, then restore that'?? And i had no say in formatting my pc, sis was trying to unlock my winxp (cuz i finally used and immediately forgot admin. password) & when it said formatting-backup files or delete? i yelled backup. other than that i'm wondering if you're trying to tell me to re-install xp (when i find it) and everything will go back to norman...?
m
l
June 21, 2012 2:04:43 PM

Where were those bkf files located? And when did you make them? What size are the files? If you did a format how were you able to get those files? Are you sure they are from the old setup and not the new XP setup?

Have you tried a file restore program? Recuva works pretty well. Re-installing XP at this point won't help, I was just stating that you can install XP without any type of format if the computer already has XP on it. It will just setup a new XP installation and not touch any existing files.
m
l
June 21, 2012 11:19:25 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Where were those bkf files located? And when did you make them? What size are the files? If you did a format how were you able to get those files? Are you sure they are from the old setup and not the new XP setup?

Have you tried a file restore program? Recuva works pretty well. Re-installing XP at this point won't help, I was just stating that you can install XP without any type of format if the computer already has XP on it. It will just setup a new XP installation and not touch any existing files.

The .bkf files are in the 'advanced mode' section of Backup & Restore; the only things 've added to the pc are necessary to make it work, because it took all that, too. The files are only visible in backup, and were sent there last friday morning ("do you want to format and backup or format and destroy?"). They consist mainly of about 380 pictures, maybe a dozen 11-minute cartoons, some recipes, and maybe 30 songs, none of them longer than ten minutes, all bunched under 'my documents'. Haven't been able to get the files, but can look at them by name, so they're there, they just refuse to enter this realm! They cannot be seen in Restore no matter what i click. There is now only farmland and three things to click on in my xp's new life. (that's the gateway screen) Tried Recuva last night, spent 3 hours clicking on everything that said 'excellent', leaving a whole lot of Unrecoverables, so before going ahead, thought maybe if i looked around there might be another answer. The weird thing is, Backup will let me (i think?) back up the .bkf file with all the stuff on it; just don't know if once it's backed up under a different name will Recovery allow it to be recovered. Under Restore as it is now, "no entries".
m
l
June 22, 2012 1:49:26 PM

Are you sure you are not just seeing the log of what the backup did and not the actual files? Did you search on the drive for those files? If you did a backup but then formatted the area where the backup files were, no more backups.
m
l
June 22, 2012 10:09:07 PM

In the backup window, there was a little tree. Never used it before, so it was the only backup, but i guess since it was formatted and backed up at the same time , they're hiding underneath the format. ? The very first thing done when pc got unlocked was to search every drive & hiding place on my computer. Nothing was Anywhere. --- went again to Backup last night, saw names of all the files in the here are your backed up files window, and it would not restore. So after reading whatever i could find online, almost all of it saying 'NO' or 'sure you can!' & going mad trying to discover the truth, clicked on Backup, and it said "where do you want to restore it from?" -- so where it had said "A:\" then the name of the file, i wrote (on the line underneath the window) 'C:\' and the name. It said NO. went to bed, & threw darts at the wall. (How on earth do people keep sane using technology?) So it's 5:45pm, and... rats, no idea where i just was, but it was the ladder of what's in your pc, under My Computer (Not in backup) AND NOW IT LISTS ALL THE MISSING FILES! ...which would be awesome except every file i click on says 'we're not here'. So now the names at least are on this side. Just before locking myself out (before the awful password problem), a lot of files that'd been marked 'shared documents' were made for Administrator only. i figure if the files names are there, it's a teeny bit likely the files themselves are Somewhere, too? your help is very encouraging!
m
l
June 22, 2012 10:49:05 PM

p.s.: after a better look, quite a few of the files do say there's stuff in them, with a lot of detail. It just says i can't have them back, or snake the tiniest of pics to take back and blow up...and all the programs & applications Holey Cow! how'd i forget them? --they're there, it's like opening a book and only seeing an Index.
m
l
July 2, 2012 3:46:40 PM

Piriform's Recuva worked pretty well. Some of the picture files were said to be "unrecoverable" although they had a picture of them...? (how can they be unrecoverable if you can see them right there?) So for Those, i hit print screen & recovered in Paint. Also discovered a set of five photos that'd been recopied 4,136 times. (something done a while back & forgot about--is there some other way besides hitting Delete a million times to get rid of all the extras? (rhetorical question) tried Ctrl-Del, resulting in MORE COPIES! lol) a lot of missing stuff --that makes you able to get internet and hear music and see videos etc.-- forces me to copy the saveable files to flash drive, then nuke my pc back to the beginning of time. Writing to zeroes is the only thing i've learned to do well, thanks to tech support! Thank you very much for all your help! i will highly recommend your site to Everybody!!!
m
l
July 2, 2012 3:56:05 PM

Ctrl + Del should not do anything.

If you are looking to delete a file without it going to the recycle bin the key is Shift + Del.
m
l
!