Computer worked fine, then continual restart cycle

lukad03

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Could really use some help, and fast.

I built my own PC (been doing it for years, I would say I have a moderate knowledge). Everything worked fine until yesterday. I put my computer on standby each day before work, and when I went to boot it up everything turned on but I got no video. I hit the reset button and my computer would just continuallyrestart itself before I switched the power off.

I figured it was either my psu, mobo, or cpu. I used this as an opportunity to upgrade the cpu, mobo, and to get a power supply tester.

Tested my psu: tester said it was good to go (though the tester just lights up green leds for what works, and everything except -5v was green)

Installed cpu, mobo, ram, video card, and sound card tonight: turns on, but no beeps, no video.

I removed the video card and sound card.

Previous build:

Asus p5kvm
Intel core 2 duo e6600
Soundblaster fatality sound card
nividia 8800 gts
3 western digital hard drives
psu - ocz 600w power supply

New Build

msi p55-gd65
intel i-5-750
corsair xms ddr3 1600 mhz 2gb
other components the same

im guessing the psu is the culprit. thoughts?

lukad03

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
True, but wouldn't the mobo be freaking out with beeps if all components are removed? I figured because of this it has to be the psu. And what about the continual restart in the previous build? Is that something a video card is capable of doing?

lukad03

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Decided to work a little longer on this problem. Installed my ram, 1 long beep, 2 short beeps. Installed the video card, and my computer gave out a VERY loud, VERY long beep. Assuming this is not normal I shut the computer down. Looks like its the video card =(

My theory now is that I previously had a micro atx board with my nvidia 8800 gts fan facing downward against my sound card. Since I had no room in the board I didn't have a choice. Don't really feel like spending the money but it this is what's needed to fix it I guess I must.